Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I purchased a used lumix GF2 CAMERA I BOUGHT A NEW BATTERY…

Customer Question
I purchased a used...

I purchased a used lumix GF2 CAMERA I BOUGHT A NEW BATTERY AND CHARGER

Technician's Assistant: How old is your Lumix?

8 YEARS

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Lumix?

AFTER CHARGING THE BATTERY I TURNED IT ON AND GOT A

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Camera Expert to know before I connect you?

BATTERY NOT CHARGED MESSAGE

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
12/7/2017
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 4 months ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
Try cleaning the terminals in the battery compartment, after removing the batteries, first by rubbing off with a fresh pencil eraser, then by wiping the terminals off with cotton swabs moistened in rubbing alcohol, then letting them dry off for 5+ minutes with the battery compartment door open, then try turning the camera On again.

And, the replacement battery needs to be charged up for 6+ hours before its first use, owing to its having been on a shelf for a considerable time. Have you tried that? it can be necessary, once, just after buying a new rechargeable battery.

did that with the swab the battery charged over night i do not own a lens for this camera [almost bought one but waited ]
i did buy a new battery the camera seems in good shape not really used much over the years

It must have been sold for that very reason: some problem with its power uptake from the battery.

But also: are you sure that you bought the right battery? if it has the wrong voltage value, or inadequate power-delivery (in mW or in W) then it might turn out this way. Please tell me the battery maker and model or part #.

DMW-BLD10 7.2V 7.2WH 1010MAH UPSTART BATTERY CO
i have original battery but it is old

What ratings (V for Voltage, WH, and mAh ) are on the original battery please? if it is handy to refer to and still legible.

dmw-bld10pp 7.2v 1010mAh 7.3wh li-ion

Same V rating, same mAh, nearly same W-H... it's a case of the camera needing repair, not the battery being insufficient, I feel sure.

All the more so, if the camera has no lens assembly mounted on it - which would draw a bit more power and voltage from the battery, for sure.

Unless there are loose wires in the battery compartment of the camera, I would say, you need to send the camera to Panasonic Repair. - Do you need information on their phone # or other details?

how much to review

"How much to review" - ? please explain a bit more what you mean. Charges for repairing the camera by Panasonic? or something else?

any more charges for them to look
i have not spent too much and do want the camera it is in otherwise such good shape
it may be a mother board issue and not sure i could afford

OK, to contact Panasonic and get charges estimates from them, call

1(###) ###-####/p>

and explain that you have a Used Panasonic camera (of your model) that needs repair. After that, ask for an estimate on the charges for the repairs, e.g. if a main board problem required the main board be replaced, etc.

- Do you need other information or advice on this matter?

has the camera been overall reliable has it had other type of problems

That camera model dates from 2009. Reviews don't mention much about its faults, except that the touchscreen is complained about by a few people who have used it.

Do you need any other information? or does this answer your question well enough and adequately?

on the bottom is say 8.4 v could it be the wrong battery all to gether

Did you use the old battery yourself? or did it simply 'come with' the camera purchase you made? - if the latter, that puts an entirely different face on the matter, and you might be able to get it working yourself, here's hoping... let me know, please.

Since I have not heard back from you, I am assuming that my answers and my work on this camera problem. was helpful and provided what you needed to help toward a solution.

If I have indeed answered your question, please rate my answer, using the five-star interface on your JustAnswer page. - A five-star rating would be appreciated. Thank you.

(If this didn't answer your question, if you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond, and I will help you further to a solution.)

Russell H., Service Tech