Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I bought the cordless set in September to replace my old…

Customer Question
Hi. I bought the...

Hi. I bought the cordless set in September to replace my old phones. These worked fine for the 1st month then in Oct they started cutting off in mid conversation. Then in Nov they will not allow to answer. They ring but when you pick it up there’s nothing. The other side said they hear a dead sound. The answering machine won’t answer either. We have unplugged them but they still continue. We have been using our cells because of this. Please help.

Technician's Assistant: When did this sound problem start with your system?

In Oct is when it would go dead while talking then in Nov it is dead when you pick up an incoming call

Technician's Assistant: Does it happen on all the handsets?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Phone Expert to know before I connect you?

We have Comcast xfinity. Also the answering machine worked at first then in Nov that stopped also

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
12/5/2017
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 4 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:

1) If you have multiple handsets (within the same system), does this happen with all of them?
2) Are there other phones or even a fax, outside of this system but on the same line? If so are they working properly?
3) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)?
4) Do you have dsl service on the same line?
5) Full model of the phone(s) (printed on sticker on the main base station, not the handset)

3 phones. 2) no 3) line line from cable co. 4) no dsl. 5) model# ***** tge230

Thank you for the info,

This symptom can indicate either a problem with the line (phone company equipment or the wiring in your home) OR a hardware failure in the base station (since the issue happens with all handsets). We most often see this type of damage to the base unit as the result of a power surge, either through the phone or power lines.

The one thing you may attempt yourself is to fully reset the system:
1) unplug both power and phone lines from the main base.
2) remove batteries from all handsets
3) wait at least 15 minutes, then restore all
4) place a handset on the main base for a minute, as if to charge
5) check for functionality.

Let me know the results, please.

No. Never mind I will not add another 26.oo to work on this phone. I thought I as speaking with Panasonic. Sorry delete my info

I'm not asking you to. You are seeing an automated ad by the site for a call or remote session. It is not sent by me. This is optional and may be ignored if you wish.

I've sent you an answer above already.

Thank you. I will call the cable company. It might be in our line.

Yes that is a possibility as well, but we usually start with the phone itself,

if that doesn't work, the next step is to unplug power to the cable modem for at least 5 minutes, replug, give it another 5 minutes to start up, then test again

and if still no change, then call the cable company out at that point. If you have them out now and they find the problem was with the panasonic they will charge you at least $75 for an unnecessary service call.

No thankyou

I don't know what you're saying no to?

No thank you

I'm sorry but I do not know what you are saying no to. Please complete the reset processes and let me know if you need more help after that.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.

Nathan, Engineer