Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

One of my phones doesn't work, not the base phone. it has…

Customer Question
One of my phones...

One of my phones doesn't work, not the base phone. it has rechargeable batteries inside. could they be bad? do they need to be replaced periodically?

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your product?

It is a panasonic model KX-TGA401

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Panasonic product?

PLUGGED IT IN 110V, NOTHING SHOWS ON PHONE SCREEN

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
12/3/2017
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 7 months ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
The phone handset might well be defective. Whether the problem is the battery inside the phone handset, or something else in the phone handset, depends simply upon two things:

1: whether the phone is over 1 1/3 years old - rechargeable batteries usually take at least that long if not longer, before they go bad (as all rechargeable batteries for small electronic devices do, eventually).

2: and, whether the other handsets work OK when that handset's battery is put into them. If another handset with this handset's battery in it works, then it isn't the battery, but the handset, and in that case you would need a replacement handset of the right type (if not of the identical type - and ask me if you need guidance on this point.)

On the other hand, if another handset does not work either, with this handset's battery in it and a bit of charging (say 20 or 30 minutes on the charger, at least, before testing), then the battery likely needs replacing, not necessarily the whole handset.

And of course, if the battery or battery pack in the 'bad handset', looks as if it has leaked, that's cause for disposing of the battery and replacing it, at once, provided the handset itself has not been too badly damaged by battery leakage for it to be cleaned a bit back into serviceable condition.

- Let me know what you think, and if you need further advice, etc.

Since I have not heard back from you, I am asking whether my answer was helpful and provided what you needed to help toward a solution.

If I have indeed answered your question, please rate my answer, using the five-star interface on your JustAnswer page. - A five-star rating would be appreciated. Thank you.

(If this didn't answer your question, if you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond, and I will help you further to a solution.)