Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I am trying to find someone who can repair the cd player in…

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to find someone who can repair the cd player in my Crosely system. I live near Des Moines iowa

Technician's Assistant: Who makes your speaker or sound system?

It is a crosely, combination LP, tape, radio & CD player. My grandson jammed something in the CD player and it will no longer open

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your sound system?

Not too much, it will not open when I push the eject button. I hear it trying to open, but will not open. I took the bottom off, but there are way too many wires and the cd system seems pretty enclosed so it is not easily accessible. Unlike my main cd player. I have opened it in the past & was able to get it to work.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Theater Expert to know before I connect you?

No---I really don't think there is anything I can do, but would be willing to try if someone would guide me. I am unable to find anyone who works on them around here

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
12/2/2017
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 7 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Unfortunately this is most often a hardware failure (bad motor, worn gear, loose belt, etc in the ejection mechanism, faulty switch or sensor, or just an obstruction by a disc that is out of place)

There are a few things you can try:

First unplug power for at least an hour, then press and hold the power/on button while plugging back in, and keep holding for another 60 seconds. If it still doesn't open, repeat the process but with the eject button instead of power.

If it still does not open, pick the unit up and shake/tilt the player side to side gently, hopefully dislodging the stuck disc inside that could be preventing it from opening, then try to open again.

If none of these help, then there is an internal hardware defect, which will need to be repaired.

If it gets to that point, I can advise you on service options.

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further, if needed.

Hi Nathan, I have pretty much tried these things already. but will try again. But ahead of time, can you help me find someone who would service this. I really hate to throw it out when everything else works on it. I don't think there is a disc it it. My little grandson was just pushing buttons on it. There may be something else stuck in it that I can't see.

Thanks for trying,

there is likely something else physically stuck inside.

To be honest, nothing beyond this is feasible. These crosleys systems are very low quality and short lived. Even without the issues with the kids, they have extremely high failure rates and rarely last more than a year or two. There is no support or parts available for them, they are considered disposable and not feasible to repair. I can certainly help you find a repair shop, but it is going to cost more in labor alone than it would to buy a brand new system, or just keep using it as-is without the cd portion.

I can help find a repair shop or recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.