Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I cant get into my safe. I bought a safe from Costco five…

Customer Question
I cant get into...

I cant get into my safe

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what device or product are you trying to access?

I bought a safe from Costco five years ago

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your product?

Sentry safe

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far?

Putting in the numbers and trying to open the door and it wont open

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

No nothing else to tell.. thank you

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
12/1/2017
Electronics Technician: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 6 months ago
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi… ….if you could give me the make SENTRY and model..........when was the last time you opened it ?............in the meantime you can try these as they apply to a keypad safe......….what you may want to do is change the batteries first off.................depending on your model there should be a slide drawer battery compartment right under the key pad …… be sure to use only fresh, alkaline or lithium batteries (NOT rechargeable ones). Make sure the batteries are seated correctly with the positive and negative…. If there is any corrosion in the battery holder, clean it out with a Q-tip and alcohol ……then use a nail file or a pencil eraser on all the contacts ……..let it dry and reinsert the batteries

Then be sure of your combination and enter it …….you should see a display on your keypad and hear beeping as you enter the numbers. If you don't see/hear anything, there may be something defective with your keypad and/or the opening mechanism/actuator which may be preventing the bars from retracting.

More than likely it could be that all of the moving parts are in need of some lubricant ........what you can try is to put in the combination............tap around on the door (hinge side not necessary) with a rubber or wooden mallet while lifting the handle ..........you might need to try this a few times .....if it opens, then empty the contents from your safe, lube those moving parts including the hinges with WD-40, flex the handle a few times shut it and see if that did the trick

I hope you have found my answers insightful, with content to your satisfaction and would consider a 5 star rating…….My goal is to give you the best experience with Just Answer as possible.… by your rating it would be the only way I can be compensated in facilitating your inquiry.........a deposit for a subscription was made by you but no payment will be forthcoming unless I am rated…..positive feedback and bonuses are always welcomed and appreciated......and I thank you

eddie

I hope this held substantial meaning for you ....got you out of your difficulty and would consider a 5 STAR rating so I can receive credit for my help. I'm proud of the work I do here and the positive ratings given by clients like you! If you do need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thanks

eddie

If you have any additional questions so that I can receive credit or any concerns, construction.......decorating....... any kind of repairs, etc I will be here for you

thank you

eddie