Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Know anything about windows 8.1 laptops? Toshiba satellite…

Customer Question
Know anything about windows...

Know anything about windows 8.1 laptops?

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model of your laptop?

Toshiba satellite from about 4 years ago

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Satellite? Have you installed any updates recently?

No. the problem is that about two years ago when it tried to update, but it failed and the keyboard didn't work. Had it fixed but has been unable to update since and has only gotten worse

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

The computer is my mom's, and her complaints are that the internet browsers don't work, even though we have tried 3 different ones. a downloadable diagnosis program found around 287 different issues.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
11/26/2017
Electronics Technician: Pete, Electronic Engineer replied 4 months ago
Pete, Electronic Engineer

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Have you tried a factory reset on the laptop?

This should resolve virtually all issues with browsers and updates.

Back up anything important first, then

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
    (If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)
  2. Tap or click Update and recovery, and then tap or click Recovery.
  3. Under Remove everything and reinstall Windows, tap or click Get started.
  4. Follow the instructions on the screen to reset the laptop.

--------------------
Happy Holidays!
Your satisfaction is my priority; I hope I have earned 5 stars today!
Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars and press Submit at the top of your question page to finish; tips appreciated :)
You can always reply back after rating me if you need any further assistance at all.
Pete.
--------------------

Pete, Electronic Engineer