Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

My new dr-b185ht is only putting out 70 watts into a bird…

Customer Question
My new dr-b185ht is...

My new dr-b185ht is only putting out 70 watts into a bird watt meter and a dummy load. How to I bring it up to the rated 85 watts?

Technician's Assistant: How long have you had your DR-B185HT?

4 days.

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far?

Nothing

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
Answered in 1 day by:
11/26/2017
Electronics Technician: Louie, Technician replied 7 months ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

This is an independent site and members of this online community provide information, repair tips, technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.

Initially, let's try check and review the basics. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• • ensure power supply is 13.8VDC well regulated;
  • • with 20A or more capacity.

The above are the only easy user doable check/tries. All others would be internal.

I'm a ham radio operator with over 20 experiance and yes, I have the proper regulated 35 amp power supply, (however at 85 watts I should be pulling approx. 17-18 amps, but am only pulling 15.8 amps.) my dummy load is rated at 50 ohms and I have a bird watt meter with the proper slug in it.

I understand.

Still:

• have you considered / tried a RESET?
  • check the signal strength when on TX?

If ALL of the external settings / configurations / factors have been ruled out, are you considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) approach?

...even if just for a look-n-see?

I am looking for the factory adjustment menu or "hidden menu" that will allow me to adjust the power setting up to specs.

To my understanding, the TV Power settings are just only LOW and HIGH.

Most of these hidden menus can be accessed using a radio programming software similar to what is shown HERE.