Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

My Panasonic FZ200 has a large black area on the the screen.

Customer Question
My Panasonic FZ200 has...

My Panasonic FZ200 has a large black area on the the screen. As it does not have a removable lens so cannot be opened I presume it is not dust on the sensor. What can it be and is it repairable?

Technician's Assistant: Has there been any damage to your camera recently (e.g. from dropping or from dirt getting in the lens)?

No not that I know of

Technician's Assistant: What kind of battery does your camera use? Have you tried taking out the battery and replacing it?

Yes I have the original re-chargeable battery and other (Chine?) batteries which are all used at different times but it makes no difference to the screen

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Camera Expert to know before I connect you?

No that is all I know about

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/23/2017
Electronics Technician: Richard, Customer Service replied 5 months ago
Richard, Customer Service

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

There can be a number of causes for this, so we will go through and rule these out.

Can you remove the battery please then hold the shutter button down for 60 seconds then release.

Wait 5 minutes, put the battery back in and turn it on.

Take a new photo and tell me how that appears please

Thank you

The black spot is permanent when viewing to take a picture or on playback it is there all the time - permanent

Thanks

Can you do the last instructions I gave you please and let me know the results?

No I have no phone at present

ok.. but my instructions do not involve the phone.

I will repeat the instructions as I believe you may have missed them

Thank you

Black spot is exactly the same it appears to be on the screen itself

If you copy the photo to your computer, do you see the spot on the photo on your computer?

No. Also it is not when viewing through the eyepiece only on the screen

Thanks, ***** ***** is then the LCD screen, we have ruled everything else out.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the camera to have the screen replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you. I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Thank you I am in South Africa and I will try to find somebody to repair it. Is my $5 refundable as mentioned when I started. I knew all along it was the LCD screen

ok.. so after going through and ruling out all the causes for this and confirming the issue, you now want to avoid paying me for the service?

Is this correct?

When I started I understood I had to pay a refundable deposit. I did not understand that the deposit was to pay for the service. I have been told by a Canon dealer here that the screed might have to be replaced and it would cost almost the same as a new camera.
Keep the $5 but the instructions should be clarified.

I would avoid a canon dealer and use a Panasonic dealer for accurate information.

The LCD screen can be sourced for $24 here

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-FZ200-LCD-DISPLAY-SCREEN-MONITOR-PART-/361476710731

And you can use a cell phone repair store normally to replace it.

This is my livliehood here, it is not a free service (that would not be sustainable) and the service is more then $5... but if now you have the information you wanted and wish to avoid paying for this you can do so by getting your requested refund here

ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund-0

There has been a misunderstanding. I am a pensioner and certainly would not have got involved if I knew there was any more than $5 involved. In fact it said the deposit was refundable.

yes if you were not happy with the service... but I have provided you the information to get a refund so you can avoid paying

Richard, Customer Service