Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

Crosley cr248 - cd won't open. CR248 and it's about 8-10

Customer Question
Crosley cr248 - cd won't...
Crosley cr248 - cd won't open
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: CR248 and it's about 8-10 years old I think
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Tried to use it for the first time in a few years. No troubleshooting other than trying to get it open without force
JA: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Looked for eject hole but couldn't find it
Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
11/21/2017
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 22 days ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Unfortunately this is most often a hardware failure (bad motor, worn gear, loose belt, etc in the ejection mechanism, faulty switch or sensor, or just an obstruction by a disc that is out of place)

There are a few things you can try:

First unplug power for at least an hour, then press and hold the power/on button while plugging back in, and keep holding for another 60 seconds. If it still doesn't open, repeat the process but with the eject button instead of power.

If it still does not open, pick the unit up and shake/tilt the player side to side gently, hopefully dislodging the stuck disc inside that could be preventing it from opening, then try to open again.

If none of these help, then there is an internal hardware defect, which will need to be repaired.

If it gets to that point, I can advise you on service options.

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further, if needed.

Electronics Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 16 days ago

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.

Nathan, Engineer