Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Seam's to be a short some wear in the microwave. Some times…

Customer Question
Seam's to be a...

Seam's to be a short some wear in the microwave. Some times it works and sometime it doesn't.

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

Panasonic 22 Cu Ft Family Size Microwave White. Model : NN-SN946W SKU:(###) ###-####

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

About one week.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

It's 10 months old.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
11/21/2017
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 7 months ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
Does the microwave smoke at any time? or emit a burnt smell (aside from perhaps a smell from overcooking food) ?

When it "doesn't work", what happens, or doesn't happen, exactly? please tell me more about that aspect, in Reply To Expert, and I will advise you as to what to do.

You have to play with it to get it working. Playing with the cord, are pressing the time buttons, there is no smell or burning.

Does the display go off at any time? and does the tweaking of the power cord then get it to turn ON again, and work?

The display does turn off. Tweaking the cord makes it work sometimes.
Also playing with the keypad might do it.

OK, that clearly means, your power cord is loose, or broken internally, or perhaps (if it is the end near the outlet it is plugged in to that you move) a defective outlet - which please note, could be a hazard or fire hazard.

Examine the cord, along its length, for signs of strain breakage or weakness or cuts.

Examine the base where it goes into the microwave - has it been strained, cut, etc. at that point or in that region?

And are there any sharp bends at any point on the cord?

As for playing with the keypad - that indicates not a simply 'bad power connection', but something else wrong perhaps.

In sum, if the microwave shows no obvious signs of breakage or strain or sharp bending (esp. repeated bending) on the cord anywhere, and if the outlet is not at fault (or, if it does not work any better plugged in to a different outlet as a power source), then since it is 10 months old, it should be covered by Panasonic's warranty coverage, which is most likely 1 year from original purchase date.

Let me know what you find, and as needed, I will recommend and detail warranty claim procedures.

Since I have not heard back from you, I am assuming that my answer was helpful and provided what you needed to help toward a solution.

If I have indeed answered your question, please rate my answer, using the five-star interface on your JustAnswer page. - A five-star rating would be appreciated. Thank you.

(If this didn't answer your question, if you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond, and I will help you further to a solution.)