Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I have a sentry safe with electric combo i opened the safe…

Customer Question
I have a sentry...

I have a sentry safe with electric combo i opened the safe then closed it saw the battery was low changed the batteries now the safe doenst open. changed them again still not opening I hear something when the combo is entered when a different combo is entered I get the error? Like not enough to kick the mechinisim?

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

With in five years Where is that info? The safe is bolted down

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Just today

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

I have never had this problem before

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
11/22/2017
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 7 months ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I think the latch has jammed in your safe, causing it to stick a bit when the right code is entered.

It might need lubrication, but the first best thing to try is, to tap gently, around the door's edge (except the edge with the hinges on it) with a rubber mallet. Then enter the correct code again, and see whether that has loosened up the door and the latches enough for them to click open.

If that does not free up the workings, be sure to let me know in Reply To Expert, and I will continue to advise you as to what other measures to take.

(If that does work, please rate my answer using the five-star interface at the top of the JustAnswer question page. A five-star rating best expresses appreciation of my efforts to give you the best right answer to your question.)