Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

Years. I have a new set of cordless phones, about two weeks…

I have a new...

I have a new set of cordless phones, about two weeks old. For years, my cordless phones have worked perfectly. They stopped letting me make calls. I called my provider, and the the said it was my phones, not the line. I replaced the phones, but now the problem is back. I can call out only on the ancient landline connected to the wall.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

The only thing I have tried is calling Century Link, my provider. My new phones are only about two weeks old.

11/20/2017
Richard, Customer Service

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Can you tell me the make and model of the phone system with the issue?

Please let me know

Panasonic, but I don't know the model.

thanks

Please remove the power to the base unit and the batteries from the handset

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power to the base unit, put the batteries in the handset and tell me if it then functions correctly.

Please let me know the results

Thank you

I did all that, but my call still reverts to a dial tone.

But if you connect an old phone to the line it does work correct?

No. I have an old phone that is always hooked directly to the wall. I also have cordless phones that I use on a regular basis. They have worked very well for many years. It is only this month that I'm having trouble.

ok, so just to be clear, the old phone does not work as well correct?

The corded phone works very well. So did my cordless phones until this month. I bought a new set of Panasonic phones, but I can't make outgoing calls on them either. I can call my cell phone from the corded phone, but not from the cordless ones.

ok, they will be going into a book on your location, usually where your electricity meters are, can you try to locate it please?

Do you mean the fuse box for electricity?

Yes, but not that actual box, you should see the telephony box there as well were the cable from the wall socket goes into

there is a telephone box on the outside of my home, but the corded phone is the one plugged into a wall socket designed for the phone cord, not an electric cord.

yes, it is for a telephone connection, not cable, but if both phones do not work, it will be this box or your actual service from the provider that has failed.

The corded phone works. The cordless phones do not. They will receive calls, but they will not let me make calls.

ok, this is what I was trying to confirm.

On the cordless phones, pick up the main handset and hold the * for 20 seconds then release.

Then try to make a call

Tell me what then happens please

It still reverts to the dial tone.

Ok, when someone now calls, does it go to the voicemail?

When someone calls me, it rings and when I answer, I can talk. In other words, the phones work perfectly for incoming calls, but they do not work for outgoing calls.

Ok, hold # instead for 20 seconds, when you have tell me if you then get the ability to call please

It still reverts to the dial tone after I have heard the beeps that indicate it is trying to connect.

and these are new cordless phones correct? Replacing the old ones that also did not work?

The new cordless phones were purchases on November 6, 2017.

Ok, the only cause left for this is a fault with the main base unit, as it is occurring with the previous setup as well, it may be a power surge that is causing this issue to occur.

Do you have a surge protector available there?

I do. But my phones have worked perfectly for many years; why would I suddenly have this issue now? I have surge protectors for my computers and my TV, but not for the phones.

There could be many factors such ass a recent storm, or surge on the lines ect.

But if two phone systems have gone out in the space of weeks, then this will be the most common cause for this.

Thank you. We have had momentary electric outages for years, necessitating resetting my digital clocks, but we have had no storms. I'll check out now.

Ok, I advise you put the new set on surge protectors as it is going to be the most likely cause.

Thank you for allowing me to help you today. My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Richard, Customer Service
Richard, Customer Service