Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

Caller ID is not working. KX-TGE430/less than one year old.

Customer Question
Caller ID is not working JA...
Caller ID is not working
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: KX-TGE430/less than one year old
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I have a caller ID device that the service works on.
JA: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: The caller ID worked sometimes when the phone was new 02/17/17
Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
11/19/2017
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 23 days ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:

1) If you have multiple handsets (within the same system), does this happen with all of them?
2) Are there other phones or even a fax, outside of this system but on the same line? If so are they working properly?
3) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
1. This happens with all of them
2. There are no other phones or other devices
3. This is a landline from the local phone company

You had mentioned a caller id device, what were you referring to there?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
The caller ID device is a standalone device bought from Ameritech more than 20 years ago.
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
The caller ID device by Ameritech has been out of the system since 10/29/17.
I will check for more info tomorrow A.M. Time now is 8:30 p.m.

Thank you for confirming,

if the other device is working still (please reconnect it now, and test if it still does) then we are looking at a panasonic issue.

If the other device doesn't work either, then it is a line issue.

As a next step, please test that ameritech system and let me know the results

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Ameritech device is back in the system. (Monday 9:00 am 11/20/17)
Thank you for reconnecting it. Can you please let me know if it is displaying caller Id info?
John, Engineer and electronic enthusiast for more than 12 years.