Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

I have a sentry safe and the batteries died after finding

where the batteries were I...
I have a sentry safe and the batteries died after finding where the batteries were I replaced all four and it now sounds like it used to but it still will not open,
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: the only thing I can fid says A5885 as for how old it is I don't know.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I hadn't been into it in months so I only discovered the problem a week ago. Other than changing batteries I don't know any other things to try.
JA: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
11/18/2017
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Is it giving an error light after you put the code in?
For how long were the batteries dead?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
no it says proceed and I ddon't know how long the batteries were dead.

Do you know the original factory code? If so, can you try using that rather than your user code and see if that responds?
Can you also listen very carefully after putting the code in and tell me if you hear a clicking sound?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I don't know the factory code code and I don't her the clicking sound that i used to hear when it was working.

Okay there are a few possible causes of that,

the solenoid inside that releases the lock may be faulty/stuck, or the batteries you put in may just not have enough power. Please replace the batteries again, making sure to use a brand new set of quality alkaline batteries. The generic brands, rechargeable s, etc don't have enough power in them to work these safes.

Let me know if that helps.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I replaced all four batteries again and it did't help.

Okay that means that the door is jammed or the solenoid is stuck or damaged,

Can you tip the safe up, so that the back wall of the safe is laying against the floor?
Then (with a helper, if needed) press down hard at the top left corner of the door, while putting in the code and then after it beeps try to move the handle to see if it will unlock

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
That worked , thank you.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Is there anything I should do now that it's open?

Great! You shouldn't need to do anything else, it was probably just the gasket being stuck down too tight from not being opened for awhile,

You can open and close the door a few times now to make sure it is moving freely, otherwise you're all set and it should return to normal.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan, Engineer
Nathan, Engineer