Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I cannot unlock my kindle fire to swipe the screen. Somehow…

I cannot unlock my...

I cannot unlock my kindle fire to swipe the screen. Somehow a female voice has taken over and tells me the time and what button I am pushing but I cannot acutally do anything.

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

It is about a year old I can't get into any program to access information. I do notice that Amazon insider has appeared on the screen since yesterday morning.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

I can't trouble shoot because it won't respond to anything. I swipe and all I get is the voice telling me if I have touched the back button, etc. I have tried double tapping an icon and that doesn't work either

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the E-reader Expert to know before I connect you?

Just that it was fine yesterday morning. Last evening it started. I have the sound muted all the time and it is activated.

11/18/2017
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

The problem you're having is often due to the software in the Kindle locking up and it needing to be rebooted. To do this, simply press and hold the power button on the Kindle for 40 FULL seconds, then release and wait a full minute for it to reboot (do no press anything else within that minute).
If this does not cure the issue, try that reset up to THREE TIMES and wait the full minute to see if it reboots.

Let me know what happens once you try those steps.

I have followed your instructions and the device is still locked.
GeekGal
GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech

Hi there! My name is*****'m sorry that you're having this trouble and I'm sorry that you've had to wait for help. I can definitely help you with this. Let's reset your Kindle Fire to factory defaults. You don't have to be concerned about losing your books. The books that you have purchased from your Kindle will continue to be available at the Amazon website under My CONTENT if you should wish to download them again at some point in the future. We can send a remote reset command to your Kindle Fire from the Amazon website. Please give me just a moment to type up detailed instructions.

Please login to your account at www.amazon.com/myk. On the page that appears next, you will see a CONTENT Tab and a DEVICES Tab. On the CONTENT tab you will see all of your Kindle book purchases. Please click on the DEVICES tab and locate your Kindle Fire in the list. Click the box in the ACTIONS menu and then click on Remote FACTORY RESET in the popup box that appears next. Click once more on RESET TO FACTORY DEFAULTS.

Please note that your Kindle Fire must be connected to wifi and must have at least a 30% charge in order for this to work. Please give this a try and let me know the results.

I don't see how I can reset anything when I can't unlock it!

If you follow my instructions you will be sending a Factory Reset command REMOTELY from the Amazon website, and it will reset to factory defaults whether it is locked or not. If you are not willing to even try to follow my instructions please let me know now so I can opt out. I don't want to waste my time or yours.

GeekGal
GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech
Sorry it has taken so long...between a disabled husband and no heat it's been one interruption after another. Your solution did work and I thank you.