Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

My small-Medium Sony Tronitron TV, which I love, has a

Customer Question
My small-Medium Sony Tronitron...

My small-Medium Sony Tronitron TV, which I love, has a Syand-by/Timer button that has been blinking red on and off 24/7. Since this began, it takes 8-10 attempts with my Sony remote “Power” button to get a turn-on response from the television.

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Sony? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

My electrical connection outlet for this tv is pretty far from the cable . I have the tv power cord plugged into an extension cord that is plugged into a surge protector ( which works as I have tested it with a lamp using the same wall outlet.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

My surge protector has a Grounding Plug between it and the outlet.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

I LOVE your Sony products and have been a devoted and steady buyer of them for 50 years, including several camcorders, cordless phones, 3 Trinitron ( 2 large), computer equipment, etc while raising my three children.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
Model no is:KV-13FS100
Serial no(###) ###-####
Manufacture date: September 2002Chassis: BA6SML
11/17/2017
Electronics Technician: Aric, Technician replied 5 months ago
Aric, Technician

The standby/timer light on these sets will blink a code or a pattern typically (for example: 7 blinks, 7 blinks, etc.). Can you please count the number of blinks between pauses and let me know what you get?

I am older with 4 Grandchildren four and under.I have a very limited income, and therefore watch every dollar that I spend.Thank you for your help... Ivlove this TV!

You're welcome! The standby/timer light on these sets will blink a code or a pattern typically (for example: 7 blinks, 7 blinks, etc.). Can you please count the number of blinks between pauses and let me know what you get?

If I turn off the TV right now ( it does not blink once I can get it to turn on), then I may not be able to turn it back on at all.She I turn off the Tv in order to count the blinks?
Answer (in case you didn’t receive it)... I just turned the tv off.4 blinks on, a pause, then 4 blinks again, etc
I can’t afford to pay you and your company more than a total of $24.(if there is no additional cost beyond a TOTAL CHARGE OF $24, then a tel call would be preferable.I also have a landline tel no.
Q-Why does the tv finally respond and turn on AFTER 8-10 trues with the remote power button?
Thank you.The more experience with and knowledge of this excellent Sony Trinitron tv product the better!It is a treasure as the resolution, color, picture, etc is all excellent - with no distortions.
Aric said above that he was referring me to another technician.Then all advice ceased.I feel gypped/cheated.I never received any communication that I know of from a follow-up technician.From a Very Disappointed Customer...Mrs HG KENNEDY
Pls see above message :There has been no follow-up technician referral ... I feel cheated.
John, Engineer and electronic enthusiast for more than 12 years.