Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

I have a Panasonic DMR-EZ48V player and all of a sudden it

Customer Question
does not recognize any prerecorded...
I have a Panasonic DMR-EZ48V player and all of a sudden it does not recognize any prerecorded disc. What is the matter with it and what can I do?
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Panasonic model number DMR-EZ48V
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: It has been going on for a couple months. I have tried to reset it . I don't know much about the things
JA: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: It was purchased in 2008
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
11/15/2017
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 1 month ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

This type of problem is often caused by a contaminated laser lens. You can attempt to clean it by blowing out the disc tray/slot area with a can of compressed air for dusting computers (keep the can upright only so you don't get chemical propellant on the lens).

If this doesn't help, you can try a specialty cleaning disc (Example cleaner disc) which has little brushes that clean the lens more thoroughly.

If neither of these cleaning steps help, then this is more likely a hardware fault, which could include a bad laser emitter or pickup, faulty spindle motor or laser transport, bad d/a converter, etc. Any of these issues would require repair/replacement.

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further, if needed.

Electronics Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 25 days ago

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.

Nathan, Engineer