Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

My 20 year old 5 CD changer just quit while playing and I am

unable to use the Open/close...
My 20 year old 5 CD changer just quit while playing and I am unable to use the Open/close function to get the CD's out
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: I don't know but it is at least 20 years old, bottom is CD change, then tape deck then radio on top, with remote control
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Since Saturday, it has worked perfectly and after playing disk it quit, I cannot manually get it to move to another - say #4 disk. I am a 78 year old senior and have no idea where to start
JA: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can I get it fixed, it is a beautiful unit in a perfect spot and from my looking on line, I don't know what to replace it with - of course everyone laughs, you play cassette !!
11/14/2017
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.
Initially, re-confirm and post back with the complete model number.
And to avoid asking you to do something you've already tried, can you please tell me what / any and all troubleshooting / specific steps you've already attempted other than / to address the above.

This is an independent site and members of this online community provide information, repair tips, technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
`I am looking for the book, on the front of the it says LBT-D159. All I have tried is to get the open/close to work or to push 1 for CD 1, 2 for CD 2, etc. and nothing, it acts it is frozen. As soon as I am doing working will try to find the book. I have all Sony TV, DVD and my 3 in 1 which is CD, tape cassette and radio.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No call, I can wait for your response

Thank you for your kind understanding of automated-systems / machine-generated followups, ads and offers.

This would appear to be an internal hardware issue.

Would you be comfortable opening up the Sony LBT-D159 ? ...even if just for a look-n-see?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Only if you walk me through - I just looked at it and there are funny looking screws on the side and what looks like a slide mechanism toward the front on the bottom but it does not appear to move.I would be happy to contact someone to repair, if possible, if you can suggest someone in the area or even suggest a newer unit that is close to same that I can purchase. I do understand it is a discontinued unit and after 20 years I shouldn't complain but there does not appear to be units made by any manufacturer for us seniors who like what we have.

Great on the DIY!
Please post back with clear pictures of the "...funny looking screws on the side and what looks like a slide mechanism toward the front on the bottom..." Click HERE.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl
These pictures would then serve as common references allowing me to see what you are seeing.

Alternatively, click HERE for candidates / potential replacement unit.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was looking at the replacement unit - 6 CD changer and would be willing to purchase it - Will it work with the Sony speakers that I currently have and they recommend "cords" as an extra purchase, will I need those. They also, I believe, have an Onkyo cassette tape desk that would replace the all in one unit that I have. It takes two people to maneuver this unit to try and get pictures, the radio on top is separate but tape deck and CD changes are one heavy unit.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The more important question is how do I get the CD's in the changer out - is there a magic switch somewhere ???

The "...Sony speakers..." would still need an amplifier such as the 1 built-in into the STR-D159 Sony radio.

"...recommend "cords" as an extra purchase..." What are the label of the red & white RCA jacks at the back of the Sony radio/amplifier?

"...Onkyo cassette tape desk...", what is the model number please?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have found Onkyo TA-RW311 cassette tape deck and
Onkyo DXC 390 6 CD changer.My only question remains is how do I get the CD's stuck in the Sony changer out and it is safe to assume that the above will work with my receiver/radio and speakers.Thank you for your help.

Great! Glad that replacement units have beed found.

Still and if of interest on the discs and compatibility, please post back with clear pictures of the "...funny looking screws on the side and what looks like a slide mechanism toward the front on the bottom..." Click HERE.

Additionally, the back of the Sony receiver/radio too.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The pics did not come out, but here is a shot of the whole unit, the "slide" is on the bottom of the radio - not what we are talking about and the black buttons appear to screw covers or heads. Hope this picture helps.thanks

Sorry but still no pictures showed up.

Appreciate the picture / video through the kindness of Nicole M. of Cutomer Care.

I was hoping to see what kind of screws / "...funny looking screws on the side and what looks like a slide mechanism toward the front on the bottom..." to enable us to open the CD changer in the hope of manually extracting the discs inside the erring unit.

Thanks.

To manually extract the CD discs, the top cover of the CD changer would have to be lifted by first removing the screws holding it in place. Thereafter, the discs can then be lifted out.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, ***** ***** tried really hard and I appreciate it.I am looking to go with an Onkyo unit 6 CD changer and they have a very similar tape deck. Geek squad will come to my home and switch out everything and according to on-line everything should be interchangeable.
I would love to hear your opinion.Patricia

Hi again Patricia,

The Onkyo TA-RW311 is a 1995-96 auto reverse, double compact cassette deck. It's main feature is the 2 DC motors and 2 servos. Consider using a tape head cleaner similar to the item shown HERE.

On the other hand, the Onkyo DX-C390 is a newer model and first came out in 2003. Similarly, it would be 'good housekeeping' to clean the laser lens. Click HERE.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Last question, I hope.Could I assume that if I just go with the Onkyo 6 CD changer and not the tape deck, that my Sony receiver/radio will work. According to the comments I have read it works with Pioneer and various other units. Most of the tapes have been replaced with CD's and something from the 90's gives me cause.thank you,Patricia

Most likely yes; it would work as the RCA jacks are standard in the 90s.

A very clear picture of the back of the current Sony system would enable me to read the labels thus provide you even with a connection scheme.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I thought I had already rated you, but will be happy to do again.I am hoping to get a picture of the back of the unit on Sunday when someone will be here to help me.Patricia

Yes please Patricia, if and when able on the clear picture(s).

And unfortunately for some reason, the ratings is not reflected.

Please provide a positive rating (3 to 5 stars) at the top of your page.

Thanks much.

Louie, Technician
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Sunday evening,Attached are the pictures I was able to obtain, will await your instructions before the Onykyo 6 disk changer as to whether I need anything else. As you recall, I am going with the tape deck, it is too old and not necessary.Let me know if pic did not come through if they did not send me your direct e-mail and I will attach to it.Thank you,Patricia

For some reason, the pic are not shown.

Still, please re-try and click HERE.

Picture/file size limited to 5mb

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Here they are
SAM_0279.JPGSAM_0279.JPGSAM_0278.JPGSAM_0278.JPGSAM_0280.JPGSAM_0280.JPGSAM_0283.JPGSAM_0283.JPGSAM_0284.JPGSAM_0284.JPG

Thanks Patricia for these pictures.

And yes, the Onkyo DX-C390's ANALOG AUDIO OUTPUT L & R jacks may be connected to the Sony STR-D159's IN VIDEO L & R jacks.

The Sony HTC-D159's top cover can be lifted out by first removing the screws with the use of a Phillips screwdriver.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Again, thank you for your patience and quick response in your answers and assistance. My background is medical transcription and I can ace that computer wise, otherwise I appear to be technically challenged. Have a Happy Thanksgiving and again thank you.
Patricia
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Tuesday, good morning
I know we thought the problem was settled but apparently not. I have to get a new receiver and when I put in STRD 159 that appears to be for the remote, please suggest what number for the unit. I thought "let me check the radio" yesterday and it appears to be dead as well, actually full of static and there is no way to clear it. So I will start fresh. The one I have read reviews on is I think STRD 130, what is your opinion.Thank you,
Patricia

Perhaps a Sony STR-DH130. If yes, then a good solid receiver.

Louie, Technician