Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I have a Sony digital Photo Printer UP-CR10L I just ran

Customer Question
I have a Sony...

I have a Sony digital Photo Printer UP-CR10L I just ran updated now everything is in Chinese? How do I get it back to English

Technician's Assistant: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?

UP-CR10L I want to say 8 years old

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

I just ran update from website.. now everything is in chinese

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
11/15/2017
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 8 months ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If you ran a firware update on it, be sure that you run that update over again - if that is possible with the language in the wrong state. Follow each step carefully and deliberately. Obviously, if done incorrectly, it can not only end up in the wrong language, but can even be rendered unusable.

So, also be sure, the update file comes from the right source: Sony Asia or such is less likely a source than Sony USA's website. And be sure to select the Language carefully, also. Hopefully the update, re-applied, will help with the problem.

It will not allow me to rerun the update in English I have tried several times. Yes, updates came from Sony website. Is there a way to reset the machine to start over?

No, unfortunately, there is no way to 'reset the firmware'. Other resets may be tried, of course.

When you try to re-run the update, what is the response, or error message?

It says it is already updated

Right - it will need to wait for a new update version, higher than the one you applied, to be released by the manufacturer. I'm sorry to say, that a reset of the firmware (away from Chinese) can only be applied if the firmware update you try to apply is

1. right for the printer, and

2. a higher version than the current version is.

Now, to figure out what the current version is, you will need to know, what version of update did you apply (into Chinese) ?

The last update was in 2010. It has the most current updated filmware. They no longer make machines so I am not thinking they will have a new update.

Then there unfortunately is nothing to do but try a reset of the printer in simpler terms:

- unplug it from the power while it is On,

- then leave it thus powered Off, without power, for 20 minutes at least

- then plug it in, try it again, see whether it comes up in English (it almost certainly won't, but one try is worth doing nonetheless...)

And if that does indeed fail, you may have to give it to someone Chinese-educated, and get a new one, I'm sorry to say.

I had already tried to do the unplug thing.. I did however find a picture of the unit screens so I could see what it says for all the buttons on the machine. There is a point that you click "English" and it converts all information to English on machine so I am thinking it is not a flimware issue just the machine was reset to original setting and needing setting set to English.

The original setting should be for English language - unless you bought this printer from an Asian country ?

It only worked for a few minutes now back to the way it was before.. Trying to find a way to reset machine to start over. not having any luck

Did it show English, however briefly?

If so, what did you do with it after that? something may be making it 'display Chinese'...