Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I NEED TO GET A DELL PART CABLE FROM BOARD TO BACK OF CD…

Customer Question
I NEED TO GET...

I NEED TO GET A DELL PART CABLE FROM BOARD TO BACK OF CD DRIVE

Technician's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Dell is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

ABOUT 2 YEARS OLD

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

I NEEDED TO RE-PLACE THE CD DRIVE AND 1 END LOOKS LIKE SOME METAL PRONG HAS BROKEN

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

I GOT A SERVICE CODE OF370880770

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
11/14/2017
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 8 months ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
That might be caused by a defective CD Drive, but also perhaps by a defective cable.

Now, what is the maker and model # of the CD Drive, please? depending upon whether it is a SATA CD Drive, or an EIDE CD Drive, or something else doubtfully, then it will need a different sort of cable.

https://www.staples.com/StarTech-Slimline-6-inch-SATA-to-SATA-Adapter-With-Power-For-Optical/product_2419531?cid=PS:GooglePLAs(###) ###-####amp;ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=2419531&KPID=2419531&cvosrc=PLA.google-SALES.Computer%20Accessories%20%26%20Peripherals&cvo_crid=228410283998&cvo_campaign=962381459&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIicrjzoC91wIVx7fACh0QKwFlEAQYASABEgKZdvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

is the SATA type cable, one type at least... there are several types of SATA cable for CD drives, so be cautious and make sure it's right by telling me the maker name and the model # off the CD drive label, before buying... or if EIDE, it would be this type of ribbon cable, I think:

https://www.mycablemart.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=254&ad_source=google_usa&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_sn414C91wIVVLnACh0_hQHeEAQYAiABEgJVe_D_BwE

Reply To Expert letting me know, and I will advise you further as necessary.