Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

My cordless phone won't ring, pretty old maybe 10 yrs, at…

Customer Question
My cordless phone won't...

My cordless phone won't ring

Technician's Assistant: How old is the phone?

Pretty old maybe 10 yrs

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

At least 2 months checked the ring settings and called the cable company

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

My caller id comes on the television but still no ring

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
11/13/2017
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 8 months ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

I'm Greg and will do my best to assist with this issue today.

Sorry to hear of any issue with your phones.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) The FULL Model Number of the phone system you are working with? If this is a cordless system, that model should be printed on a sticker on the bottom or back of the MAIN base station.

2) How many TOTAL cordless handsets do you have with this system, and if more than one, do ALL handsets have this issue?

3) What landline phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?

4) Do you have ANY other devices/phones (NOT part of the main system) attached to this same phone line and if so, are they working properly (do ring)?

Please REPLY using the box below and the SEND button.
*** IMPORTANT NOTE: *** ANY requests for "additional services" (such as a phone call) are OPTIONAL and sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me), and I am NOT available by phone at the moment.
Please DECLINE (close) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.

Thanks

model number KX-TG4731
handsets 3
a fax machine but it is working fine
spectrum/time warner
continue with this method

Hi again and thanks for that information.

Can you CONFIRM that the FAX machine is connected to the same phone line?

And if so, does the FAX machine "ring" - when calls come in?

Also, can you still get a dial tone and make OUTGOING calls - on the Panasonic system?

are you still there

Yes - still here.

Did you see my last questions?

but my phone doesn't ring so you can't call me

OK - you may be seeing requests for a phone call.

Please continue to ignore those and respond here - in this form.

Pending questions:

not sure if the fax rings or not never use that option yes I can make out going calls

OK - very good.

Next, do you have access to an outside phone - such as a cell phone or neighbor's phone - and can call the Panasonic number - as a TEST?

no

OK - next question:

Do you have a friend you can call - and then have them call you back - as a TEST?

If so, during that TEST CALL, check the DISPLAY of the Panasonic handset(s), to see if the Caller ID appears there.

Then call your friend back and ask them what THEY heard - during the TEST CALL.

Let me know if you can do that.

my phone works it just doesn't ring I can make calls and answer incoming calls it I catch the caller id on the tv

I understand.

Can you do the last TEST I mentioned - and CHECK the DISPLAY of the handset(s) - when the TEST call is coming in?

sorry all friends are at work

Hmm ... that makes it tough to troubleshoot.

Can you look at the DISPLAY of any of the handsets - and tell me what you see?

Of particular interests would be any ICON that looks like a "bell" - with a line through it.

found husbands cell phone called myself and nothing but the ID on the TV there is a box at the top of the receivers that says ECO

So does that mean that the display of the HANDSETS does NOT show the Caller ID - when the call is coming in?

Does the display of the handsets show ANYTHING - when the test call is coming in?

it does not show anything

Interesting - very interesting.

So I don't duplicate anything the cable company asked or did, can you give me a brief summary of any conversation with them - and WHEN the last conversation took place?

talked to them twice first time the tech was going to reboot everything but it didn't happen second call the tech said it was my phone and to call you

OK - was that today, or some time earlier?

And would you be willing to TRY a reboot of your own - if I can give you the procedure (takes just a few minutes)?

are we still connected

Yes I'm still here - did you see my last questions?

did you get my answer

No - all I saw was "are we still connected"

I spoke with spectrum last night they said the problem was with the phone and to call you

OK - I saw part of that response - but NOT that it was last night.

Then I asked:

Let me know if you are willing to try that.

Iknow how to reboot but while that goes on I lose all connection
we have rebooted several times

I understand.

Can you tell me HOW you perform the reboot procedure - especially if it involves disconnecting ALL POWER for a period of time?

I disconnect the motum wait for 10 sec and it reboots
did you get that?

OK - I have a DIFFERENT procedure that takes about 15 minutes.

This assumes that you have a "modem" and perhaps a "backup battery" - that will also have to be disconnected. Let me send that procedure to you - so you can give it a try.

NOTE: normally if you just leave the computer sitting on this screen during the reset, and then REFRESH the screen AFTER the reboot, it will reconnect you right back here.

I'm sending the procedure as an image, and you may need to click a link below to see that image.

Let me know if you can do this.

Thanks

I can do that. how will I be able to connect back with you once it finishes rebooting

As mentioned earlier, if you just leave the computer on the screen where it is NOW, a REFRESH of the browser screen SHOULD reconnect you.

OR - you can save a "bookmark" in the browser screen to this page, and then use that bookmark to return.

Let me know what happens - when you can.

Thanks

ok thank you

You're quite welcome.

NOTE: I have to go pick up my son in about 20 minutes, and expect to be out for about 90 minutes, so if you don't see a response back during that time, that is why.

I WILL check back on the results - as soon as I get back.

Thanks again, Greg A.

alright I rebooted it all still no ring called spectrum was told that since I am receiving phone service there is nothing wrong on their part so what do I do now?
Maybe I just need a new phone??

Hi again,

I have to run out the door right now, but the next step is to either TEST with a different phone OR take the Panasonic system base and one handset - to a different location and TEST it there.

If the system DOES ring at a different location, then the phone will be eliminated as the cause.

And if a DIFFERENT phone connected to your line does NOT ring, that will confirm that this is a SERVICE issue.

I will check back when I return.

Thanks

ok but I am not able to continue any more thanks for all your time

Hi again,

Sorry I just saw your previous post saying: "Maybe I just need a new phone??".

As you may be able to tell, I'm of the mind that "It is BEST to TEST" - to find the REAL CAUSE of any issue - before just "buying a new phone".

In that line, if you have an OLD phone that can be connected JUST TO TEST, or can borrow one from a friend or neighbor OR can get an inexpensive corded phone (check hardware, home improvement, or even drug stores) - that could be used to test.

I just don't want to see/hear that you get a new phone system and have the SAME issue with that.

Please let me know what you can do - to test - and what is found.

I'm here almost every day to help.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)