Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I have a Technics SU-V5 amplifier - the sound quality at low…

Customer Question
Hi Pearl, I have...

Hi Pearl, I have a Technics SU-V5 amplifier - the sound quality at low volume is poor, sometimes I don't get sound through both speakers either

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

If I twist the rec selector and input selector, the volume can come back. How do I open it and get to the volme control to clean?

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

The amplificer is a Technics SU-V5 I bought in 1982

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

That's it for now, thank you

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
11/12/2017
Electronics Technician: Aric, Technician replied 8 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

In order to fix the problem you need to remove the top cover. There are two screws on each side of the cover, and then 5 along the edge of the top cover (on the rear of the unit). Remove all of those screws and the top cover can be lifted off. From there, to fix the issue- the Input selector and Rec selector controls need to be cleaned using an electronics contact cleaner such as De-Oxit. This cleaner can be purchased at Radio Shack and would liberally be sprayed around and into the control from the rear while the control is being worked back and forth.

I have opened up and used a contact spray, which has improved the performance, although when you open the top, I can't access the rear of the front panel to get to the back of the input, rec selector or volume knob

Okay you did not state this. I will opt out.