Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I acquired a used HP laptop from my daughter. Before giving…

Customer Question
I acquired a used...

I acquired a used HP laptop from my daughter. Before giving it to me she took it in and had the hard drive scrubbed.Right know it has no operating system on. Is there some way I can get the laptop up and running.

Technician's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your HP is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

4-6 years old

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

My husband has been working on it for about 2-3 weeks

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
11/7/2017
Electronics Technician: Eric, Technician replied 9 months ago
Eric, Technician

Hi! I'm Eric and I will be the expert assisting you today. I'll do all I can to provide you with excellent, 5-Star service. While I take a moment to read over your question, please read the following:

• Offers you see for Remote Assistance or Phone Calls are not me recommending them, it is this website. I am more than happy to accept your request for one, but you don't have to.
  • Please keep this browser open. If you close it, open your email to find links back to this question.
  • I will keep helping you until you're satisfied, please ask as many follow up questions as you need by replying below.

Yes, there is a way to get Windows back on the PC. You will need access to another PC to get started though, as you will need to use the Windows Media Creation tool to create a bootable usb drive. Give me just a moment and I will provide you with all the links and instructions you need.

I I don't have enough knowledge about computers and electronics to do this can I just bring the computer into Best Buy Geek Squad and have them do it

Yes, you can bring it in to them, the only difference will be that it will cost more as you will have to pay them to do it instead of yourself. However, if you do not feel comfortable doing it yourself, then that is probably the best option :)

Did you need me to find you the nearest location to your residence, that can handle doing this for you?