Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

Yesterday I had my phone/internet provider (Comcast) change

the name on the caller...
Yesterday I had my phone/internet provider (Comcast) change the name on the caller id on my phone because it was still saying the name of my late husband (my son now uses that phone in our former house). The new name is ***** ***** all the phones except one, which still shows the old name. What can I do to get it to accept the new i.d.? I already deleted all the old callers' names, but still no luck.
JA: How old is the phone?
Customer: At least 9 or 10 years old.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: As I said, I only asked for the name change yesterday. I tried disconnecting the phone and then deleting all the old callers' names, but still nothing. What is further annoying is that this phone has a "voice" attached that announces the incorrect name!
JA: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is the gist of the problem.
10/21/2017
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
Please tell me in Reply, the maker name (e.g. Panasonic, VTech, etc.) of the other phones... and the maker name of the one phone that does not work properly, and its model # also, please. With that information, I hope I can advise you further toward a solution.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The one that still shows the old name is ***** ***** kxtga641. The other two phones are Unidentifiable and AT&T.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The one phone is Uniden --guess the spell check saw it as unidentifiable!

OK, a Panasonic phone of that model, thanks for the reply and the info...

Try pulling the power plug on the Panasonic phone's base or charger, or both of them if there are two.

Then, also turn OFF all handsets for the Panasonic phone.

And remove the battery from every handset. And leave the battery out for at least 10 or 15 minutes or longer.

Then plug the base station for the phone back in to the power.

And put the battery back into each handset, turn it On, and see whether the phones are freed of this residual of the old configuration of Caller ID to your number.

Let me know how that goes, and if you need further advice. (You may need to re-register the phone handsets to the Panasonic phone's base station, too, after this is done.)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did all that
and it still says the old name.

When, exactly, does it *say* the name, out loud?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Usually about a few seconds after the first.few rings

Does it say that when *any* caller calls in?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you think I should just get a new phone? Or would I still have the same problem?

A new phone might be needed. Does it say anything other than your late husband's name, and also, did you try turning Off the Talking Caller ID feature - ? that might work.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't know how to do that.

OK... also, trying to record a new Greeting message might help, perhaps.

To turn OFF Talking Caller ID:

MENU

# 1 6 2

and then press 0, then press SAVE.

Then press OFF.

To re-record your greeting for callers answered by the answering system:

MENU

# 3 0 2

up or down to highlight YES

then press SELECT

then after the beep sounds, speak your message,

and then press STOP.

And then press END.

Does that help?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When I select menu, the keys do not respond to any numbers. I know how to change the greeting but I do't see how that would help. I think I will either trash this phone or get a new one.

Turn On the handset. If you don't seem to get anything done, try also pressing the

#

key as shown in the sequences, at the lower right-most of the keys on the phone handset.

So you press

MENU

#

3

0

2

highlight YES

SELECT

after beep, speak

STOP to end recording

END.

Does that work?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, I apparently turned off the annoying voice... the pound sign worked! Will have to see if it resolves the problem.

Good! Glad to hear that perseverance may have paid off.

Before you go, are you willing to rate my work and my answer ? or would you rather wait, if so, how long?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just got a call from my son and the I.d. Has not changed. Maybe the problem is unsolvable with this phone.

If you re-recorded the greeting message too, and the spoken voice has not changed, but the caller ID changed on the other phones immediately after you contacted your phone co., then you may have a phone that has a problem that cannot be solved except by replacing it, regrettably.

But if that replacement solves the problem, then it's the right solution, I think.

Are you willing to rate my work on this, and my answer?

If you wish, I can recommend to you good online sources for a replacement for the phone.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am a little busy now but I will change the greeting and see if that helps. I' be glad to hear your recommendation for a new phone. Give me about an hour.

OK! take your time, and enjoy your day, please. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well, I changed my personal greeting and the name stubbornly did not change. I think I've done as much as I can. I'm ready to make a change, either just discard the phone or get a new one.

OK - that sounds reasonable to me.

This is one of the best deals on a replacement phone that I could find:

https://www.ebay.com/i/132366502075?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Or, Panasonic themselves sell New phones, for about $40 or even $39 ... see this page, some being more expensive than that, some at about that price:

https://panasonic.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/23516-11134/Panasonic-1-Handset-Cordless-Phones.html?cid=12755&chid=4272&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5fLNhv6C1wIVnrXACh2u4AQcEAQYASABEgKqyPD_BwE

These pages will open in new windows if you just click once on the links, saving time typing them in again. I hope that works for you.

Before you go, please rate my answer using the five-star interface, or by Reply stating your raing - a five-star rating best expresses appreciation of the work I have done. Thank you for asking your question here at JustAnswer, and please have a fine evening.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Russel H. Tried to solve my problem but did not succeed. However, maybe it was unsolvable. He did give me several suggestions to try and made recommendations on my getting a new phone. So I would rate his service a "4."

Thank you. You are good to rate me. Again, please have a fine evening.

Russell H., Service Tech
Russell H., Service Tech