Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

Pioneer qa800 quadraphonic amp. Left side output hardly

audible and distorted, already...
Pioneer qa800 quadraphonic amp. Left side output hardly audible and distorted, already swapped inputs and outputs side to side
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Pioneer is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Qa-800 mid seventies I think
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Just happened, only swapped inputs and outputs. Did deoxit
JA: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: It's also distorted if I use it as a preamp
10/21/2017
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.
Initially, are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even a soldering iron?
And to avoid asking you to do something you've already tried, can you please tell me what / any and all troubleshooting / specific steps you've already attempted other than / to address the above.

This is an independent site and members of this online community provide information, repair tips, technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.

I am familiar with a meter and soldering, I use them both at work, but I am a beginner at this. So I don't expect you to walk me through all of this. Step in right direction would be good. I deoxit. Swapped inputs and outputs. Also hooked up as preamp. Still had same problem

Great on the DIY!

Based on the above, the most likely suspect would then be at the pre-amp section or more particularly the left channel circuitry of the Head Amp Unit (W15-032), the Q Unit (AWM-001) and the Control Amp Unit (AWG-001). These 3 circuitry are the only active boards of the pre-amp as all others are switches and controls. All of these circuit board are accessible from the top.

One big advantage is that the right channel can be used as a template/reference when doing both passive and active tests of the left channel.

A friendly reminder: voltage measurements by its very nature requires that the unit be plugged in and turned on. It is therefore LIVE! Please exercise due care and caution.

If not yet available, the schematic diagrams would provide insight. Please click HERE.

Louie, Technician
thanks, ***** ***** i have schematic and info i have somewhere to start.
Louie, Technician