Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

Model KX-TGL46? 3 handsets. Been working fine. Suddenly no…

Model KX-TGL46? 3 handsets...

Model KX-TGL46? 3 handsets. Been working fine. Suddenly no ringer volume. ATT home system. Incoming calls noted on TV. Ringer volumes set to maximum. Silent mode is OFF. Need help.

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

KX-TGL463 about 6 mos to 1 year old

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

2 days. all troubleshooting items in manual.

10/21/2017
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Does this happen on all 3 handsets?
Are any other phones (besides the tv) working?

with all 3 handsets. There are no other landline phones connected.

Okay if it is happening on all 3, that is more likely a base station or line issue than a setting.
Do you see a ZZZ, DND, or a bell with a slash through it on any of the handsets?

No, there is no bell with a slash. However, I can get that by putting it in the silent mode. I have turned the silent mode off.
Pressing the ringer volume + switch, it rings very loud and clear. It may be that the signal that turns on the ringer is not coming through for some reason. One thing that I haven't tried is to call my landline number from my cell phone (different numbers) to see if speech comes through. I just tried that and speech does come through the landline phone even though it doesn't ring.

Thank you for confirming,

This symptom can indicate either a problem with the line (phone company equipment or the wiring in your home) OR a hardware failure in the base station (since the issue happens with all handsets). We most often see this type of damage to the base unit as the result of a power surge, either through the phone or power lines.

The one thing you may attempt yourself is to fully reset the system:
1) unplug both power and phone lines from the main base.
2) remove batteries from all handsets
3) wait at least 15 minutes, then restore all
4) place a handset on the main base for a minute, as if to charge
5) check for functionality.

I will try your suggestion later tonight.
Thanks let me know how it works when you have a chance
Following the Reset procedure did not fix the problem. Still no ringing. I left the power off for 1 hour.

Thank you for trying,

this is more likely a line fault at this point, though without the ability to test another phone that becomes harder to isolate.

Can you please unplug power to your modem for 5+ minutes then test again?

I found an old desk phone in the garage and disconnected the phone line from my base unit and plugged the phone line into the desk phone and it rang. I will plug the phone line back into my base unit and reset the modem by leaving the power off for 5+ minutes and let you know the result.

Thanks!

If it still doesn't work after that reset, since the desk phone did work, then it actually would be a panasonic issue. There is no other setting for that and beyond the reset it would mean a hardware failure in the panasonic base, and it would be time to replace it as they are not feasible to repair. You can't buy just a base, but you can get another of the same model and then register your existing handsets to it, ending up with a larger system: http://amzn.to/2yEs9n9

Resetting the modem didn't help. It must be the Panasonic base unit. I will replace it as you suggested. Thanks for your help.
I'm knowledgeable enough to believe you were right on with your troubleshooting suggestions.

You're very welcome, and best of luck!

One thing to note, if you replace with the same model to reuse the handsets, you have to deregister them BEFORE you take the old base out of commission or you'll be in for a real headache.

On the old system, take a handset and key in Menu#131, then choose the handset number (you have 3 I believe, the handset number is ***** in the corner of each screen) to deregister, confirm by hitting yes, up/down to yes again if prompted, then Off. Repeat for the other 2 handsets.

Then, when you get the new one hooked up, on the old handsets, press Menu#130, then press and hold the locator (find HS) button on the new main base for 5 seconds, then Ok on the handset. Repeat on the others.

Nathan, Engineer
Nathan, Engineer