Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

I have a Sentury safe that opens with a push button code. I…

Customer Question
I have a Sentury safe...
I have a Sentury safe that opens with a push button code. I recently moved and now the key pad.doesn't light in order for me to enter my four digit code number. How can I open the safe?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
10/16/2017
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 4 months ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Please tell me what model the safe is. I will advise you accordingly - models of Sentry safe differ.

There is no model no on the safe. It is empty and it just says fingerprint safe on the front of it (and it also says Sentury Safe).

Is the door open, or closed-and-locked, on the safe, please?

The door is closed and locked.

OK... if the keypad doesn't light, you will need to replace the batteries. Do you know how to do that, with the door closed? often there is a battery compartment that allows battery replacement from the outside with the door closed... or one can apply power to terminals on the outside, with a 9 V battery, for long enough to use the code to open the door.

If there is a retaining screw at the bottom of the keypad, remove that first.

In some models, there is a pinhole below the buttons of the keypad, you insert a paper clip into that hole and push down, then while pushing down you can slide the keypad to the right.

Or, place both hands upon the keypad, then pull it upward to unlock it from the door, then pull it toward you to access the battery compartment.

Or try twisting the keypad counter-clockwise. On some models that is the solution to getting the batteries replaced.

Note that if the old batteries have leaked brown corrosion onto things, cleaning will have to be done, of the battery compartment terminals at least, before the safe will have a chance of working again. This is best done with cotton (or rag cloth) moistened with rubbing alcohol. Once the terminals are shiny again, let them dry for 5+ minutes, then put in the batteries - with proper orientation with regard to + and - poles - and try the safe's combination again.

Let me know *if* none of these methods work. There may be more suggestions for me to offer.

Russell H., Service Tech