Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

Tv cam for skype keeps login off i have to keep enter my

password to login it connects for...
tv cam for skype keeps login off i have to keep enter my password
to login it connects for 10 to fifteen sec and logs off it does not stay connected
10/16/2017
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

What is the model of your tv?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
vizio 42inch model nor sure 5years old

But you are trying to use the skype app on the tv?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
this problem just started about two weeks ago it was working fine before

Thank you for confirming.

I'm actually surprised you had it working that recently. This app is no longer available, and will not work on the tv any longer.

The underlying issue is that microsoft has ceased licensing skype for televisions and most other devices. It is really only available now on pcs and phones/tablets. Your vizio, and all other smart tvs, have had the skype app deactivated, which is why it won't establish a functional connection, as microsoft (the owner of skype) has ended that support and has no plans to reintroduce it.

You could connect a computer to the tv, using the tv as a monitor, and using the service that way, or on a connected (with a hdmi adapter cable) smartphone or tablet. Unfortunately though the built in skype app will never work on this tv again.

My apologies for the news,

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
this not a smart tv this a logitech tv cam for skype model vr0002
But you have it connected to your tv, correct? You said your tv cam and the Visio tv. Are you using something else with the camera like a pc?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
its connected to tv only logitech tv cam is all in one unit does not need a pc

Thank you for the updated model,

I understand what camera you are using, but it is the same underlying issue,

which is that microsoft has dropped support for this device to access skype. That wasn't restricted to just tvs, it was any device other than computers or phones/tablets running the skype app. Any 3rd party devices accessing skype no longer work for this reason, which is applicable to your camera as well.

Nathan, Engineer
Nathan, Engineer