Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

I got a text from a friend and when i call the number its

out of state and its...
i got a text from a friend and when i call the number its out of state and its a stranger but within moments i can get a text from same friend same number...i can text my friend back and he gets it but if i call its out of state wrong number
10/15/2017
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I suggest that your friend needs to change the number on his texts! or if that number is ***** his accounts, to change the number or correct the number on his texting account.

If the number is ***** not your friend's, also I suggest that his device might be infected, and be infected with malware that inserts wrong numbers into his texting app, or the texts his texting app sends.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
we can send and receive messages no problem but when i try to call the number i have been texting him with it calls somebody out of state not him but i then can send that exact number a text and my buddy gets it

Oh - you are not calling a number in a text of his, OK. So - what number, or from where, are you calling? The same number you text him with? I'm sorry, I need to be sure I understand fully and accurately.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
me and a buddy are texting him from his phone me from mine no problem we can talk all day like that but as soon as i try to call the number ive been texting by buddy at it is answered by a stranger in another state ..but i can send my buddy a text to the exact number and he gets it

OK, I get it now, I think. Tell me: is the number an out-of-state area code, or an in-state area code?

And how do you dial the number, is it by dialing in the number digit-by-digit by hand, or by clicking on the number as a link, without entering the number digit-by-digit?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
its a in state number and u know where in ur text message it gives u option to call i hit that call button

OK. Try dialing in the number explicitly, digit-by-digit... see whether that works properly, just once. To make sure your phone or phone app isn't the problem, nor your phone service, but just the link or call button in your text messaging app - or vice-versa, if dialing it digit-by-digit by hand, also fails to reach your friend.

The call button might be misconfigured, you might have some odd infection of the system perhaps - esp. if you don't have any anti-virus e.g. McAfee Mobile or other good names in anti-virus software, on your phone - or that might be a 'call button' that your friend's device inserted into his message? I cannot see the screen, but I think those are the possibilities.

Since I have not heard back from you, I am assuming that my answer was helpful and provided what you needed to help toward a solution.

If I have indeed answered your question, please rate my answer, using the five-star interface on your JustAnswer page. - A five-star rating would be appreciated. Thank you.

(If this didn't answer your question, if you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond, and I will help you further to a solution.)

Russell H., Service Tech
Russell H., Service Tech