Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I replaced the battery in my iphone 6 and after i replaced…

I replaced the battery in...
I replaced the battery in my iphone 6 and after i replaced it The screen isnt working at all. All I see is bars and you cant even do anything at all. When i took the phone back apart I realized that I was sent the wrong battery and put the old battery back in. When it was back together it is still doing the same thing. I think the phone for the most part is still working though because I can hear incoming emails and I can access my pictures through my computer. Is this fixable?
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/14/2017
Chris Lindsey
Chris Lindsey, Technician
Good evening. My name is ***** ***** I am your Electronics Expert. There is a couple issues that this can be but I want to accept your phone call request to clarify. When would be a good time with you?-Chris
right now would be ok
nevermind, i didnt realize it was an extra charge. we can just type
Not a problem. Are the lines colored or white/blackish?
they are whitish blackish with a tad bit of color in a couple spots. if i click the home button you can see 4 colored lines where the apps would be
Are they vertical with small squares or look like lightning lines?
vertical with lightning lines i guess. its all just long lines and white perpindicular steaks are flowing vertically as well
Thank you. When you put pressure on the screen with your finger does it get worse temporarily or look different? Also is the screen a replacement?
nothing at all happens when i do that
Ok. Is the screen a replacement?
no its factory
With the phone on, move the screen slightly up and down off from the frame as if you were taking it off and tell me if the screen is looking any different.
if vi move it up the moving lines pause just for a second and they are pausing randomly. Now they are standing still just vibrating a little (the lines i mean)
Ok so it does change when the screen cable is moved?
it didn't seem to change much
I need to know if it changes even the slightest please. If it changes even the slightest on the same screen, it's the LCD cable that has a micro tear between the LCD adhesion and cable that is a common problem with the screen taken on and off about 5 times or more.
right now it doesn't seem to be changing at all. It changed a little when i first lifted the screen off but not now. I just touched every cable leading from the screen to the other part of the phone and no change
Let's eliminate some issues so we can find out what it is. Hold down the power and home button for 20 seconds then turn back on if the phone isn't already on. See what happens.
back to lightning black and white lines right in the middle where the apple symbol would be
Let's now take out the charger if it is plugged in, take out the battery, then hold down the power button for 30 seconds, wait an additional 20, put just the battery in then without touching the power button, plug in the power cable to turn on the phone.
ok so i didn't actually take out the battery just unplugged the cable in the phone. Again white and black streaks down the center
That is fine. Was the old battery swollen inside the phone?
It was taped with white adhesive if that is what you mean. It wasn't super easy to get out I had to pry a lot but it came out. It just wasn't lasting more than half a day
Okay, but it was not buldging out of its black plastic when you first opened the phone?
no
We will have to continue tomorrow its getting late here
Thank you. Understood, same here. I will be back on roughly 10am PST, just send your next message when you are back online.-Chris
I'm back online
Are you online yet?
Good morning. I am.
ok so what do i need to do to fix my phone do you think?
98% of the time with about 2,400 iPhones I have repaired and it has that issue, it is when the LCD cable has came slightly out of socket with the screen which causes those. The other 2% is motherboard graphic issues, but you are still receiving emails that tells me forsure, it is indeed your screen cable.
With pressure taking the screen in and out, it's about as fragile as driving over a thin piece of wood, it's very easy to damage it. I would order a new screen. I'm going to send you a link of a company that I suggest using their quality screens as they have an consumer Ebay account as well.White: https://www.ebay.com/itm/142321286661
Black: https://www.ebay.com/itm/112342802595
do you think the wrong battery had anything to do with it? Or is the battery I had in fact compatible with my phone? I was super careful when I took the phone apart but if you say so
The reason I do not think it was the wrong battery because you are still getting proper power and functions from the phone. The phone would not turn on before it would hit the graphics chip unit. Was there a power difference between th two batteries?
the voltages are the same, the old battery is 6.91 Whr and new one is 6.55 Whr. The old battery APN is(###) ###-####the new battery APN is 616-00033

Okay thank you, ***** ***** iPhone 6 and 6S. That is not enough power to screw up the motherboard one bit. I am confident it is the screen that had too much tension on it and will need to be replaced.

ok thank you.

You are very welcome. Does that answer your question?

When finished with your question, please give me a 5 Star Rating then click on the Submit Button so I will get credit for helping you or use the 'Reply' option to continue with your question until you have reached an answer.

One more question, do you know of a local store that may sell iphone parts so i can fix this thing today?

I know a few. Can you tell me your city?

Bremerton Washington

There's a repair Dr that closes at 2pm today.

***** Bremerton, WA 98310(###) ###-####/p>

I would just call and ask for an iPhone 6 screen that you are a 'tech' and want to buy just the screen. They shouldn't charge you anymore than about 35 at a store.

I actually called them earlier and asked them if they sold just parts but they said no. If Itell them i'm a 'tech' does that actually work?

I am seeing that is the only one in your area too, unless there is a surrounding city around you we can search?

If they are professional, then yes they should respect you being a tech as it lets them know you don't need their labor but want to give them business by buying a part.

I just told both places I was a 'tech' and neither one will sell me parts

Must be a small owned and not very professional. Do you have any surrounding cities?

Yeah a few, ill look into it. Thank you

You're very welcome. I'm glad that I was able to help you.

If you could leave me a rating before leaving that would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

-Chris

Chris Lindsey
Chris Lindsey, Technician

L

Hey I just replaced the screen, When I went to start up the phone The apple symbol showed up, then it went away and nothing. I cant get the phone to turn on even when connecting it to the computer. Do you know what might be wrong?
Good evening. Yes, hold the power button and home button until it restarts.
how long?
I have held them both down for a good 30 seconds a couple times and still nothing
If you can take the screen out, take the battery out for 30 seconds then plug in the screen and battery and turn on
still nothing
Do you get the Apple logo? Does your computer see the phone while plugged in? Also shine a flashlight into the screen and see if you see the screen
I got the apple logo for a couple seconds then it went to black and never came back. Computer doesn't see it and it makes no sounds. almost as if its dead. What am I looking for with the flashlight?
Try to see if the backlight is working. The flashlight to see if the screen is working without th brightness on. Does the Apple logo come on and off or just go on then off the whole time?
I don't see anything with the flashlight. The apple logo only was there one time when I initially tried to start up the phone and I haven't seen it again
Leave the battery out of the phone for 5 minutes to do a full power reset. Again making sure not much pressure is being put on the LCD screen.
Nope, still nothing
Did you see the logo pop up again?
When you take out the battery, plug back in the battery, hold down the home button and plug in the USB cable from the computer, does iTunes see your phone?
Nope, absolutely nothing
I haven't seen the logo and Itunes doesn't see it
What do you think is wrong?
You have tried a different charger? It's acting as if it can't see the battery. The battery must be charged about 5% before it turns on buts acting as if it don't see it, like you got a defective battery.
Did you try swapping all the old parts in and out to do a minimized cancelation method?
I tried to use the old battery and nothing changed. The charger definitely works because it worked the other day. I also charged it all night. I didn't try using the old screen again
I would leave it unplugged and put in the old battery and screen and plug the charger in again.
If you can also send me a picture on your computer of the inside of the phone on here that would help a lot to tell if it's a motherboard issue, but highly doubtful.
Ok I will try that, but if that does not work then what?
I want to say another battery. I have had about 20% of my repairs with this same issue I had to try extra batteries before working and after it turned on, it worked fine with no future problems. Very odd issue but that's always been my fix, considering no motherboard damage was done to it
I plugged in the old battery at one point and nothing changed. I really would like to have my phone working again when I get home I'll send you a picture of the inside. I am probably going to go to the Apple store and see if they can do anything but I would really like to fix it myself
Ok i can't believe this. I swear I tried this already but I put in the old battery and the phone works fine. I am going to get a refund for the battery I bought on ebay. Is there a battery online I can buy that you recommend?
Sounds good, it definitely had to be that issue.
I suggest:https://www.ebay.com/itm/112312378730
Ok now I have another issue. When I call people they cant hear me and I can only hear them if I am on speaker phone. This seems like it is never going to end
If I record a video it will playback with sound and then you can hear my voice
Correction, People can hear me i just can't hear them unless its on speaker
Again I have been doing some experimenting and people are telling me that my voice comes and goes during a phone call
Disregard, I fixed it
Sounds like the speaker on the screen, probably just needed to adjust the contact points.
Ok glad to hear.