Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

I received a message by someone called "report manager" on

Second opinion] I received a...
Second opinion] I received a message by someone called "report manager" on kik. I was told, "we received information that you are sending sexually explicit images to minors. We need to confirm this is not the case or we will take legal action." It's been nearly eight weeks since that message was sent and eight weeks ago the count was deactivated. I do have confirmation it was from a kik bot. Do they report to law enforcement always or are they more likely to threaten it as the account is still active? Thank you in advance.
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/14/2017
Josh, Technician

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

KIK will file a police report if they believe a crime is committed regardless if the account is active or deactivated.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Why would they alert me if it? The account is still active to date and I only received a warning from kik and no LEA outreach. Could they have been scaring me to get off their platform?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
also I received the message from a bot

It is more likely that someone reported the issue and they are following up.

If you have not heard from any type of law enforcement after 8 weeks, it is likely not something on their radar.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That's what I figured. Especially seeing as they are located in Canada. At this particular point in time do you believe in your opinion, knowing there aren't any guarantees, that there is anything to worry about at this point. There hasn't been any sort of illegal activity on the phone or account in eight weeks so kik doesn't even have the information anymore.

I cannot guarantee anything but if there hasn't been anything in 8 weeks, it is likely a non-issue.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. How do the bots know to initiate contact with. I do know for a fact that it was a bot
Unfortunately, there is no way to know their algorithm of how they are able to spot that information.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I would have to think with all the users they have they see hundreds of reports every day though...
I’m sure they have thousands daily which is why a bot would handle requests
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if behavior would continue or get more reports about the same person would be the point where they may report to an LEA if you were to speculate?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I understand that I am coming to you for advice and that I cannot expect anything super human from you :)
if it continued then it would be more likely to be reported.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How long does kik retain my information for?
Unfortunately, that is not public information.
Josh, Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Update: it was some named "report manager", but I do not know the username. I recently heard that kik only uses the name and username "kikteam". If it said "report manager" as the first and last name could you guarantee a scam?
Josh, Technician