Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Last night at midnight or so, my Kidde Smoke and Carbon

Customer Question
Last night at midnight...

Last night at midnight or so, my Kidde Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarms let go with a piercing alarm and saying "Fire! Fire!". These alarms are tied into the electrical system with battery backups. But there was no fire, I checked the house for 15 minutes and found nothing. I got my ladder and took out batteries. Went back to bed and in 15 minutes it started again with the ones I hadn't disconnected. What gives?

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

Kidde,

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

#KN -COSM-1B or 18

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

The house was built in 2011 and the alarms were installed then

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
10/5/2017
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 7 months ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
Could it have been a CO alarm instead? I mean, the alarm did say 'Fire', but who knows?

CO alarms would be from a slow-combustion situation, or a combustion-without-ventilation situation. If it were the latter, CO would be sensed as well as a trifle of smoke - and it only takes a trifle of smoke, the amount from striking a match, to set off a sensitive alarm.

Is anyone anywhere in the house, e.g. on a lower floor or in the basement, smoking, perhaps?

Check all pilot lights in any gas stoves, gas burner or furnace, etc. A pilot light that had gone out might perhaps activate a CO alarm, though I doubt it... you'd smell the gas. But if in an equipment closet, just checking it briefly would be some assurance.

The other alarms went off, because the first one did, after a 'reset interval', I suspect. Went off from whatever set the first one off.

But - if the alarms were installed in 2011... these alarms sometimes 'expire' after a terms of years. What is the current flashing-light status on any one of the alarms, please?

For the

KN-COSM-IBA
model of Kidde Smoke and CO Alarm, the term of life (after initial power-up) is 10 years. The expiration of that time is signaled by two beeps every 30 seconds.

So I don't think that's the problem.

Note that if you had a burned-food (e.g. in microwave, toaster, or on stove, or in oven) event at any time in the recent past, smoke paticulates will persist in the air and may make their way into the smoke/fire alarm sensor in these alarms, possibly some time - hours maybe - after the event, even if it seemed a small event and the smoke or detectable odors from the event did not seem to get near the alarms.

If that's the case, blowing out the alarms with a powerful blast of air, can help prevent them going off in a disagreeable False Alarm situation, again.

Let me know what you think, and what the situation is. I will advise further as needed.

I found my answer on another site, telling me that Kidde recalled this model in Novemb er and will issue a replacement. So that is what I will do, and I don't need anything further from you.

OK. I hope that the new ones don't have any problems. Thank you for asking your question here.

John, Engineer and electronic enthusiast for more than 12 years.