Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

My Panasonic KX-TG4731 answering machine is not picking up…

Customer Question
My Panasonic KX-TG4731 answering...

My Panasonic KX-TG4731 answering machine is not picking up calls. What can I do to fix this?

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

KX-TG4731

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

One week that I know of. I went through the booklet to correct the number of rings (selected 4) it rings once (used #211) still rings only once. Corrected recording time using (#305) to 3 min. The base just doesn't answer a call.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of. My telephone number is(###) ###-####

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
9/30/2017
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 10 months ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Try calling that Panasonic phone's number yourself, from a cell phone or from another phone line. What do you hear, what words, when your call is picked up on (after one ring presumably, but perhaps not...) ? let me know in Reply, and I will advise you as to what to do.

The Panasonic head set rang once, then went "boop" (rather loudly) and stopped ringing, my cell phone kept ringing though, but there was no pick-up by the answering machine.

So, there's no message on the line at all, and no pick-up? OK. That the Panasonic phone rang only once is odd.

It might be 'broken'. Does it have a base unit (not just a charger) ? and, does any red light show on the base unit, or on the phone itself? even if blinking, perhaps.

Okay. Let's continue with the online conversation.

OK... I regret that I am not able to offer Live Phone Call service at this time; However, your request is still open to other Experts in this category, and one of them may pick up on it at any time.

I am frustrated with this situation. I cannot stay glued to this pc for much longer. I am missing calls because I am 78 and can't get to the phone on the first ring. I need help in getting my answering machine operative and to have calls picked up by the answering machine after 4 rings. Come on guys!

On the base unit, press the 'Message' key, or the 'VM' key, perhaps, to turn On the red light. Or maybe it's the 'ANSWER' key and the Answer light.

That should enable answering. Does that work? I have to guess in a hurry here - I don't know the model of your base unit, or if you even have one, really...