Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I think I have a trojan or some type of virus on my computer…

Customer Question
I think I have...

I think I have a trojan or some type of virus on my computer but I don't know what to do to remove it. I keep getting pop up games and ads that keep interfering every time it click on anything.

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

It is a ASUS with the processor built in. I think it is at least 5 to 6 years old

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

I tried to up load or down load a free program from the internet that could check what was happening but my virus protections won't let me access the programs. It has be going on for about two years or more I think.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

That I am not tech savey so you have to use plain english. Even when I click the send button an add or pop up happens

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
9/27/2017
Electronics Technician: Josh, Technician replied 10 months ago
Josh, Technician

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

Can I connect to your computer to fix the issues?

Hi Josh. My name is***** am just wondering what you will be doing while you have access to my system?
I am not looking for a membership to anything. I thought I was contacting the Geek Squad with Best Buy where I purchased the computer. Did I get sent somewhere else?

We can do a one-time session.

We are not Geek Squad but we deal with this issue daily.

Thank you for your time. I will attempt to contact Best Buy by phone.

Sure; no problem.