Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Are you knowledgeable about xm satelite radio? It was in my…

Are you knowledgeable about...

Are you knowledgeable about xm satelite radio?

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

It was in my 2009 infiniti and over the last few months it loses connectivity more often and consistently in the exact same locations such as driving under trees.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Several months. I have had my unit refreshed several times. Contacted Siriusxm support and just picked my car up from Infiniti dealership after they looked at antenna connects etc. and said everything looks good

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

I think that is it

9/26/2017
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The tuner for Sirius/XM satellite is probably failing. That explains the fading out while under heavy tree cover or foliage. Gradual failure to 'lock on' to signal explains the increased sensitivity to tree cover.

Refreshing has been tried, so that's not it. The antenna connection has been checked too, so that's not it.

If your XM radio is from a 2009 car, I doubt it is within warranty. But it will need either servicing or replacing, by the sound of it. Especially the 'tuner' part of it, that locks onto and tunes in the radio signal from the antenna.

Do you need any further advice on this matter? if so, let me know. And if this answers your question fully and well, I would appreciate a rating for my work, please.

In talking more with siriusxm they mentioned it might be a module inside that may need to either be replaced or rewired. Either one of those requires taking it back in to Infiniti or some other entity to pop my dash and communicate with siriusxm. Don't know what else to do

Admittedly, that is the situation. Such satellite radios, unless they had an accessory tuner module added in (which you would see, and probably know about, under the dash - kind of a small box with a cord to it and a cord from it - ) have to be removed from the dash and serviced by a special servicer, for this sort of problem, unfortunately.

Do you need direction to such a servicer, or will going with whatever your Infinity dealer provides be OK?

Don't know who else to go to?

I don't know your geographical region. If you could let me know, I can suggest where else you might take this problem for fixing and servicing the XM Satellite radio's electronics.

Houston Tx

OK... hopefully not the region that was really heavily rained on by the recent hurricane.

I am seeking information for that region...

These are highly rated, and esp. if your Infiniti dealership can do more for you than dismount and disconnect the XM radio from your vehicle's dash, they should be able to help you with the XM radio's repair:

Texas Car Stereo & Texas Electronics

*****/p>

Houston, TX 77077

(###) ###-####/p>

or

Mobile One

13469 Southwest Freeway
Houston TX 77074
Tel:(###) ###-####/p>

or

River Oaks Car Stereo

*****/p>

Houston, TX 77027

(###) ###-####/p>

or

Audio Express

*****br />Houston TX 77075
Tel:(###) ###-####/p>

or

King Car Stereos

*****/p>

Houston, TX 77016

(###) ###-####/p>

or

Car Audio Outlet

6322 Gulf Fwy

Houston, TX 77023

(###) ###-####/p>

I hope one of these can provide the repair needed for your XM Satellite Radio.

If this answers your question, please indicate your willingness to rate my work on this case and my answers.

I agree

OK. Thank you, ***** ***** luck! Before you go, please rate my answer, using the five-star JustAnswer page interface on http://www.justanswer.com/car-electronics/apb1p-knowledgeable-xm-satelite-radio.html

or just replying with your rating - a five-star rating best expresses appreciation of the work I have done. Thank you again.

Russell H., Service Tech