Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

My Kidde smoke detectors have been going off intermittently…

Customer Question
My Kidde smoke detectors...

My Kidde smoke detectors have been going off intermittently since early this morning. It is very humid & foggy here.

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

It's about 3 or 4 years old. I don't know the model.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Just this a.m. Have tried turning off circuit breaker. Doesn't work.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
9/26/2017
Electronics Technician: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 7 months ago
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi .......what you have there is an integrated system .......meaning if one is effected then they all are so if you treat one you need to the same remedy for all also so........

Disconnect each smoke detector……. if they are hard-wired and leave them disconnected…... un-plug the wiring harness connector at the back of each……... if they also have a battery, remove each and click the "Test" button for approximately 20 seconds to discharge the internal capacitor…….. once each smoke has been disconnected from power, listen if the chirping goes away or if you still hear it.

If only a battery connected, remove each battery and hit the "Test" button for approximately 20 seconds.............again to discharge the capacitor...........once this is completed, kill power to the circuit breakers completely to the OFF position............. then it dust off each with a compressed air canister (like the one you use for your computer) wipe with a soft cloth and install fresh batteries in each and replace………..Please let me know

Thanks

eddie

I hope you have found my answers insightful and with content to your satisfaction……. please click ACCEPT… this would be the only way I can be compensated in facilitating your inquiry.........a deposit for a subscription was made by you but no payment will be forthcoming to me until I am rated for my assistance…..positive feedback…..5 star replies and bonuses are always welcomed and appreciated

And Thank You

eddie

I was very interested in getting this resolved for you and was hoping you would contact me.……I am passionate at what I do and helping you out is my objective and concern..…so when you can please let me know where we stand on this issue ……looking forward to hearing from you again

Thanks

eddie

Eddie
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor