Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

The handset on my cordless phone only has audio when I am on…

Customer Question
The handset on my...

The handset on my cordless phone only has audio when I am on speakerphone,

Technician's Assistant: How old is the phone?

2 years

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

For months. i have gone thru the menus on the phone and looked at the operating instructions which really did not discuss the phone options

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

Model number--kx-tga20b

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
9/25/2017
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 8 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Does this happen with all of the cordless handsets, or just one of them?

just one
no more money just response

I'm not asking you to spend more. You are seeing an automated ad by the site for a call or remote session. It is not sent by me. This is optional and may be ignored if you wish.

i will ignore it

This issue indicates a hardware failure in the handset, meaning a faulty control board or a bad earpiece speaker. The speakerphone speaker is separate which is why that works. We most often see this type of damage as the result of a power surge, either through the phone or power lines but it also can be damaged by dropping, or just normal age related wear and tear.
The one thing you may attempt yourself is to fully reset the system:
1) unplug both power and phone lines from the main base.
2) remove batteries from the handset
3) wait at least 15 minutes, then restore all
4) place the handset on the main base for a minute, as if to charge
5) check for functionality.

Let me know the results

ok
if the charge for this service was 8.25 why is there a $36 authorization on my credit card?

You were charged the correct amount, which is what you had agreed to on the payment page. The initial amount was only the deposit to post your question, not the total fee you signed up for.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.

John, Engineer and electronic enthusiast for more than 12 years.