Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I have a polaroidtv and it is about 8 years old and it has…

Customer Question
I have a polaroidtv...

I have a polaroidtv and it is about 8 years old and it has been going off on its own and i have to use the remote to turn it on. it happens after about 10 or 15 minutes after it is turned on.

Technician's Assistant: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?

Model # flm-2011. it started a few months ago but i dont use it that much

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

I havent tried anything didnt know what to do

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/24/2017
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 10 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2008 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. These are some of the lowest quality tvs on the market. They are built to meet a certain price point, not for quality or reliability. It is completely normal and expected to see them last just a year or two at best so to have had it last this long is exceptional for a polaroid product.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $100 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,