Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I was on but I accidentally close the browser.

Customer Question
I was on but...

I was on but I accidentally close the browser. ***@*********.*** 

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

Panasonic DMR-eh59

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

The message I am getting is the "Mode is not supported", change the resolution of the external device. This problem has been here for several days.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

I have tried the Power on button for 10 seconds, and the Channel Up/Down.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
9/23/2017
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 8 months ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

What type of device, a TV, a computer, etc., does the 'Mode is not supported' error display on, please?

Samsung LCD Monitor SyncMaster 2443BWX (HDMI). I am receiving the message "Mode not Supported.

But the Panasonic device is hooked up to your Samsung LCD monitor.

OK....

Was the web browser on or from your Panasonic device, before you closed the web browser?

And did you close the web browser in any unusual way, or after some change in settings or in operation mode?

Also: have you tried turning Off both the Panasonic device and the Samsung monitor for several minutes, then turning On the Panasonic device for a bit, then turning On the Samsung monitor after that?

Two separate events, the Panasonic DVR is connected to the Samsung LCD. The Web Browser was on my PC, Completely separate.

I see that was a separate event from the problem.

OK.

Try turning Off both the Panasonic device and the Samsung monitor for several minutes, then turning On the Panasonic device for a bit, then turning On the Samsung monitor after that?

The Panasonic DVR was working with the Samsung LCD before I somehow change the setting in one of the menus.
I have turned both devices on and off for several days.

I see. Well, a resolution not supported message on the monitor could be either odd output from the Panasonic device, or an odd input setting or other setting on the monitor.

....

Since I change the setting on the Panasonic device, my guest is that the Panasonic dmr's output is not compatible with the LCD.

I suspect it is a problem with the Samsung monitor.

But changing resolution settings on the Panasonic player should be tried too. Have you done that? if not, do you need instructions?

And, are you now trying to play a different disc from previously?

I am not able to get to the setup menu on the panasonic device to change the output. This is what I have been trying to acccomplish. The LCD IS NOT the PROBLEM. The problem is trying to get to the Setup Menu on the Panasonic DVR.
Since the output setting is not compatible between the devices, I am not able to view anything but the Not Supported message.

Do your controls for the Panasonic device allow you to change the resolution at all, or do you need the monitor to accept output first before you can change resolution settings?

I shouldn't have asked that, for there is evidently (from what I have seen) a way to do so. Does the Panasonic device have a remote? if so, it might be a button on that remote; telling me what remote model it has might allow me to advise you in specifics.

I need the two devices to be compatible, so that I can see a message other than the "Not Suported \" message. The remote device does not have anything that can help with this situation.

Then your monitor is OK, you can do nothing with the Panasonic until it is set correctly and shows a picture - if this is so, you need another monitor, display, or TV, to hook the Panasonic device up to while you reconfigure it.

What were you doing with these two devices, before this problem happened? if you can recollect in some detail, that could help.

I don't recall, what I was doing to change the output resolution on the Panasonic DVR. I don't have another LCD to try to change the output device.
Is their a Panasonic CD disc, or USB that can resolve this problem.

No, there isn't, I'm sorry. What buttons are there on your Panasonic DVR's remote, please?

Power on/off, TV, Volume, Channel, Input Select, numeric key pad, delete, skip, show/search, stop, pause, play, time slip, exit, direct navigator, prog/check, function menu, ok, option, return,, sudio, display, create cchapter, manual skip, rec, rec mode, F Rec, Status.

Try hitting the TV button. Then if that doesn't correct it after a few minutes, try hitting Input Select once, wait a bit to see, twice if it doesn't change, wait a bit again.

Let me know how that goes.

I have tried all the buttons. No change.

Did you try the sequence I recommended?

Then a different monitor or TV will be needed, to change the resolution back. Then switch to the Samsung again.

(Are you sure the Samsung monitor has not been changed, reset, used for anything else? It might need its input changed from some incompatible or non-connected input source, back to the (presumably) HDMI source you have the Panasonic DVR hooked up to...)

My dish box is connected to the Samsung LCD with 1080p, with a switch (4x1). The LCD input is not a problem. The problem is with the Panasonic DVR.

If there's a switch, that could perhaps have gone bad.

Can you hook up the Panasonic DVR directly to the Samsung TV for a test without the switch box?

I wouldn't be able to see the "Not Supported" message if the switch is bad.

Is it a hopeless case, in your opinion, then?