Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I have a Panasonic KX-TGF372 I have a Panasonic KX-TGF372. I…

Customer Question
I have a Panasonic...

I have a Panasonic KX-TGF372 I have a Panasonic KX-TGF372

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

I am connected with xfinity through a cable box. I live in a old 1750 stone house and I can not answer a phone upstairs. The cable people told me that I need a stronger phone. Give me your opinion. The phone will ring upstairs but I can not talk. The model is less than 1 year old

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Since I have it. I did have a phone line that was hard wired. Then we connected it with the cable box. Now I can not answer the phone upstairs.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
9/22/2017
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 11 months ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

I'm Greg and will do my best to assist with this issue today.

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue you are having with your phones.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) Can you SUCCESSFULLY answer calls with the handset that is NEAR the base unit (assuming it is "downstairs")?

2) If you MOVE the upstairs handset downstairs, can you SUCCESSFULLY answer calls with that handset?

3) WHERE is the MAIN BASE station located RELATIVE to the upstairs handset (far away, directly overhead, etc.)?

Please REPLY using the box below and the SEND button.
*** IMPORTANT NOTE: *** ANY requests for "additional services" (such as a phone call) are OPTIONAL and sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me), and I may NOT be available by phone.
Feel free to DECLINE (close) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.

Thanks

1 yes
2 no
3 downstairs 50 feet away

OK - since the answer to question 2 was no, may I ask if the upstairs handset can be taken downstairs - placed in the main base and left there for a minute or two - and then TESTED to see if it can be used DOWNSTAIRS to successfully MAKE and RECEIVE CALLS?

And at the same time, can the downstairs handset be taken upstairs, and successfully used there - to MAKE and RECEIVE CALLS?

Will have to come that.

"Will have to come that."

I'm not sure what that means - can you explain?

When the phone is upstairs it tells me it has no link. I tool the downstairs phon
E up it does not work. When I brought the upstairs phone down it works. The problem is the upstairs phone is top far away from the cable modem. Is there a phone that would work when plugged in that can be further from the modem

Hi again,

What I believe the "real issue" might be is that the "radio frequency transmissions" - between the handset(s) and the main base unit can not "penetrate" the ceiling/flooring material - between the lower and upper floors.

You MAY be able to "fix this" by placing the MAIN BASE at a different location - which should be "centrally located" in the house, most likely near the staircase.

This could be either upstairs OR downstairs, depending on where the closest phone jack is.

You MAY also be able to connect the Comcast connection to the existing inside phone wiring - and then connect a different phone to the upstairs phone jack. That assumes that there are phone jacks both upstairs and downstairs - that are already part of the inside wiring.

And there MAY be another solution - which is to purchase and install the Panasonic "Range Extender" - most likely near the top of the stairs - so that the cordless signals can be "repeated" between the downstairs and upstairs areas.

The model of the Range extender is KX-TGA405 and you MAY be able find them locally. If not, you can find them listed on Amazon. I have a link to the listing for that device here --> http://amzn.to/2xud3BQ

Please let me know if any of the above steps can be tried and the results.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)

Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 10 months ago

Hi again,

I see it has been a while and I haven't seen a response on this page, so I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue OR if the issue was resolved?

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)