Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

My computer continuously announces that I may be infected by…

Customer Question
My computer continuously announces...

My computer continuously announces that I may be infected by a virus.... it will affect my PW, credit, etc... tells me not to shut down my computer. should I bring it in to be checked ?

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

It is a levano, about 1 yr

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Started yesterday. don't know how to trouble shoot

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/22/2017
Electronics Technician: Jason Jones,
 replied 11 months ago

I am sorry to hear about your problem. My name is ***** *****, I am a Tech Expert with over 20 years of experience and look forward to helping you today.

How long has this been an issue on the computer?

I will be standing by, looking forward to your response.
Thank you,
Jason

started yesterday
Electronics Technician: Jason Jones,
 replied 11 months ago

Thank you for the update. Have you turned the computer off and on, yet?

I think it would be easier just to bring it to best buy... thanks
Electronics Technician: Jason Jones,
 replied 11 months ago

I am not understanding your post.

The announcement that the computer has a virus may just be a simple advertisement from a scammer. More often than not, you can just turn the computer off and on, which will remove the advertisement. That is why they ask you to not turn it off because they know once you do that, the advertisement will be gone and you won't need their help.

Turn the computer off and on. Once you do that, is the 'announcement' gone?