Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Cobra 29 I bought new. I installed it and does not transmit…

Customer Question
Cobra 29 I bought...

Cobra 29 I bought new. I installed it and does not transmit or receive. my buddy said his cb meter moved when I transmit but he hears nothing. I installed an antenna out side of the truck. I had it hooked up to the mirror connection and it did not work so I put it on the back of the cab and got the same result. nil

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

Cobra 29 new

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Since day 1. I installed it and calibrated it

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
9/22/2017
Electronics Technician: Louie, Technician replied 11 months ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.
Initially, re-confirm and post back which version of the "... cobra 29..."
And to avoid asking you to do something you've already tried, can you please tell me what / any and all troubleshooting / specific steps you've already attempted other than / to address the above.

This is an independent site and members of this online community provide information, repair tips, technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.

Cobra 29 ltd classic

Appreciate the additional information; a Cobra 29 LTD Classic.

Let's check and review the basics. Have you tried:

• exercising NB/ANL switch to OFF;
  • ensure CB/PA is set to CB;
  • RF GAIN max clockwise;
  • SQL turned until the noise just disappears?

Then for test purposes, loosen the PL-259 connector until only the center pin is making contact with the CB's antenna socket. Ensure that the MIC is not keyed.

Ok I will do that this evening when I go to work .did the rf gain set to cb no noise for sql yesterday and no dice. There are no cb repair shops in my area. I am trying to determine if I should ship cb out for a repair
I have power on the cb. Just dont know if it is antenna or bad cb. I installed two different antennas one brand new. But will try your advice later as cb is at terminal and I am home
Do you have enough info to determine the cause or not.

Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.

Additionally, determine if the RX indicator would light up when there is reception.