Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I just got this B500. Put the batteries in, SD card in. It…

Customer Question
I just got this...

I just got this B500. Put the batteries in, SD card in. It worked for a little while but now when I turn it on it just says "turn camera off and on again" Thats all I can get out of it.

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

B500, uhhh. I dont know

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Just got it today

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

Troubleshooting manual says restart it, but that does nothing

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
9/22/2017
Electronics Technician: Richard, Customer Service replied 8 months ago
Richard, Customer Service

Hi there and welcome

Can you remove the battery please then hold the shutter button down for 60 seconds then release.

Wait 5 minutes, put the battery back in and try to turn it on.

Tell me please if it now starts

Thank you

remove all the batteries and hold the shutter button down? Is there an internal battery?

Correct and no there is no internal batter.

This procedure drains all power from the mainboard, it is referred to as a hard restart

nope, that didn't do it. It says Turn the camera off and then on again
hey are you there?

ok, I want to rule out if the lens assembly has jammed.

Can you get something that vibrates such as an electric razor

And turn the camera upside down, place it on the device so it vibrates and power it on and off up to 10 times

Let me know if it then functions.

yes I am still here, I just needed a minute to finish typing out the instructions I just sent you

serious?

Sorry.. what do you mean with serious? That I needed some time to type out the message?

I just took the lense cover off and now it works. That was the stupidest $35 I ever spent

Having the lens cover on would not cause the error of turning the camera off and on again.

no I meant you seriously want me to hold something that vibrates against the camera. Well that healed it anyway. I mean taking the lens cover off. It works now.
cuz the lens pops out a little bit when you turn it on and having the lens cover on prevents that. You can pass that on to your next client.
I'm just gonna charge you $19.99 for that solution. You can reimburse my card.

yes, virbrating the camera can get the lens assembly to unjam, it has resolved the issue countless times

You need to speak to customer service regarding costs.

Just messing with you Richard. Thanks for the help. I guess I should buy a vibrator for future issues.

ok.. sorry I get some customers replying in very hostile ways, failing to understand I cannot see the camera so work from the most common causes down.

But trust me on the vibration, especially if you ever get sand inside it, it can cause the assembly to jam and the solution will resolve it in a lot of ways.

LEt me know if you need anything else.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Richard, Customer Service