Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

How can I get my Garmin g30 to be in English. Just bought it…

Customer Question
How can I get...

How can I get my Garmin g30 to be in English

Technician's Assistant: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Just bought it it is a G30

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Just got it tried none

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
9/21/2017
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 8 months ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Try this factory reset, which might revert it to English:

With the Garmin device OFF, press and hold down the

BACK and the OK buttons, both of them, then

turn the device On which holding those buttons down, and wait until 10 seconds have gone by, then release the OK and then 5 seconds after that, release the BACK button.

See whether that clears it back to English. If not...

When a device has a wrong language displayed on it, there often is not any "press buttons and reset back to English" method. Instead, one must identify the language actually displayed, and then work with that language's spelling - even if blindly - until one has set English as the interface language again.

So please tell me in that case: what language is it? please give me some examples of what words are displayed on screen now?

on my Garmin I only have what they call the devise button or devise key

OK... is it a Garmin Golf GPS? if so, is it a wristwatch-style Golf GPS, or a handheld-device style Golf GPS?

hand held devise golf GPS
it is a model G30

OK. ...

I do not believe so

Try this method:

- Hold the device key to turn off the device. Wait a few minutes, before proceeding.

- Then, press the device key to turn on the device.

- When text displays at the bottom of the screen, tap the upper-left corner of the screen.

- and then select Yes.

Does that work?

I t just showed me courses close to my home

OK. We will have to approach this problem a different way.

Do you know what language it is?

Have I lost you Russel
If I have let me know and I will look some place else.

I'm still here. What language is on the Golf GPS screen? is it Spanish, or can you quote what it says?

it looks slavic

OK. Did you buy it used, or New? and was it bought online, or in a store here in the United States?

I bought it at Dicks Sports Store just today

There seems to be no 'change language' function in the Settings on that model. You might be well-advised to take it back to Dick's for an exchange, for one made for United States use and in English. Or, in brief, one that is 'fully working'. That's my advice, though it may seem a letdown... and it most probably is.

John, Engineer and electronic enthusiast for more than 12 years.