Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

THE CALLER ID SCREEN ON THE HANDSET OF MY KX-TG5240 5.8GHz…

Customer Question
THE CALLER ID SCREEN...

THE CALLER ID SCREEN ON THE HANDSET OF MY KX-TG5240 5.8GHz EXPANDABLE CORDLESS PHONE SYSTEM HANDSET IS NO LONGER VISABLE. CAN IT BE REPAIRED OR CAN I PURCHASE ANOTHER SETSET?

Technician's Assistant: How old is the phone?

SEVERAL YEARS OLD, I DON'T RECALL EXACTLY.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

IT HAS BEEN FADING OUT OVER A NUMBER OF WEEKS. SOMETIMES VISABLE, SOMETIMES (USUALLY) NOT.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

NO. OFFICE DEPOT WHERE I BOUGHT THE PHONE SUGGESTED I CALL TO SEE IF I COULD FIND A SOLUTION SHORT OF BUYING ANOTHER NEW PHONE SET.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/21/2017
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 10 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Unfortunately no, that would indicate a defect in the actual led display, which is not repairable. This is a 2004 model phone, well over doulbe its designed service life, so seeing this type of failure just from normal age related wear and tear is not at all surprising. They are not repairable due to the age, as there are no parts available and even a replacement handset would not be available at this point. Replacing the entire system would be your best recourse here.

The new models on the market use a DECT6 frequency which is far superior in cordless range and sound quality to the older systems, so you'd benefit from updating anyway.

Here is a comparable current model that I'd recommend: http://amzn.to/2wKC3Be

My apologies for the news.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/2rRmuH2 and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,