Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Requesting Louie only. Thank you. I worked with Louie in the…

Customer Question
Requesting Louie only. Thank you...
Requesting Louie only. Thank you. I worked with Louie in the past on a amplifier which he helped me get back up and running.Now I have a Sony 8mm VCR - model EV-A50. When I play a video, I get blue screen with letters showing the tape is playing but no image just blue screen and audio is popping. Connection is AV r-y-w cables. Tried news cables same results, tried using coax connection same results and tried a different tv - same results. Attached pic is availableNot sure which failed component on board is causing this. Thank Lisa
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
9/21/2017
Electronics Technician: Louie, Technician replied 8 months ago
Louie, Technician

Hi again Lisa and welcome back to JustAnswer. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, how long has this player been in use? ...about a thousand running hours?

Try feeding the Sony EV-A50 with an external AV signal say from a VCR or camera or DVD player with composite outputs. Determine if the blue screen and audio issues would persist.

Still, consider performing a cleaning of the video and audio heads, tape path and guides (if have not been done) as a last resort before attempting an internal hardware repair. Use a Sony V8-25CLH Video Head Cleaning Cassette Tape for 8mm Hi8. Digital 8. Please click HERE...or equivalent HERE.

A word of caution; some generic/unknown brands cleaning tapes are very abrasive. Use sparingly.

A friend dropped off this unit. It has been sitting in their garage. The internals were very cleaned. I did purchase the 8mm cleaning taprle. The same one you recommended. All I did was insert the cleaning tape and pressed fast forward and rewind. Ran it a few minutes. I did not put any solution on the tape. Just the tape itself spun in the unit.I did not try the external AV connection. I will try that.In order to apply external av, would take my old VCR and run the av cable from the line out to the line in on 8mm vcr and the line out from the 8mm will go to t.v. correct? Please confirm before I attempt. ThanksP.s. and what is weird when I tested this 8mm on my other tv using coaxial connection. I ran coax from wall to cable box in, then out from cable box to VHF line in on 8mm vcr, then ran VHF out to t.v. with same results but what sparked my attention, even when I unplugged 8mm VCR from the power source but still had the coax connection hooked up through the cable box, I was able to still watch my cable channels through it. Is that unusual or not? I thought by unplugging the unit, i would lose picture from tv. Or is because the signal running from my cable through the 8mm vcr to tv does not need power source just to transmit a signal?

Yes; "...old VCR and run the av cable from the line out to the line in on 8mm vcr and the line out from the 8mm will go to t.v...."

And "...unplugged 8mm VCR from the power source but still had the coax connection hooked up through the cable box..."; yes would work since the IN/OUT connectors auto-switches to feedthrough when power is off.

Please try STOP / no PLAY on the Sony VCR but playing a DVD disc.

Ok. Using the same wiring connection from my last message and doing what you said to do next by having the Sony box powered On but NOT pressing the PLAY function, I then put my dvd movie into the DVD player and pressed play on the DVD player. The output on the TV still shows blue screen with white lettering. The DVD movie never displayed itself on the TV.

I understand.

This would confirm the internal hardware issue.

If considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach, please post back with clear pictures of the internal circuit boards. Click HERE.

These pictures would then serve as common references.

Ok. I will send over pics of the internal circuits of the Sony 8mm VCR today. Since the unit is still intact, I will have to disassemble it so I can get clear pics of the boards. Pics to follow. Should have them sent to you by this afternoon.

Yes please; when conveniently able.

Ok here are the pictures of the circuits from the Sony EV-A50. I took pics of both sides of each board. There are 4. Main board, power supply, panel control and vhs tape circuit.I even zoomed in on them as well.
1506282983536781215712.jpg1506282...jpg15062830230051517651576.jpg1506283...jpg1506283068639353330961.jpg1506283...jpg15062830925501573523721.jpg1506283...jpg1506283122067558501581.jpg1506283...jpg1506283153665703808751.jpg1506283...jpg15062831794591963004118.jpg1506283...jpg
If you need me to zoom in on any particular area of a board, do let me know and I will do my best. Just tell which board and area.

Appreciate the pictures.

Let's try check and review the basics. Proposed preliminary tests (if have not been done and even if just to eliminate as a suspect) would be on the power supply board. Carefully test for:

CN202

• • switched +5V @ pin 2;
  • • unswitched +5.7V @ pin 3;
  • • heater +3.9V @ pin 4; and
  • • heater -3.9V @ pin 5.

CN201

• • unswitched -5V @ pin 1;
  • • switched +5V @ pin 4;
  • • unswitched +5.7V @ pin 5;
  • • unswitched +13.5V @ pin 6;
  • • unswitched +10.5V @ pin 8;
  • • unswitched -28 @ pin 9; and
  • • unswitched 40V @ pin 10.
AC or DC readings? I am thinking DC but wanted to make sure. On CN202 pin 5 negative heater - do I place black probe on GND and Red probe on pin 5. Can I take the measurements just by plugging the power cord in OR do I need to reassembly the boards together and power all up together? And the pins that are marked Switched, I know I have to have power to the board BUT do I need to have all boards connected together and the press the POWER button to have all the circuit boards powered ON.

Hi again Lisa,

If a voltage value (say 5) is preceded by a + or - sign, then it would denote a DC Voltage.

As this are ALL secondary voltages, then yes; the GND would serve as common ground when checking any and all of the above voltages.

It would be preferable to have everything connected. You may have to add/ensure the commonality of the ground by connecting the power supply's GND to all other GND with the careful use of an alligator clip with wires similar to the products shown HERE.

As always and a friendly reminder: voltage measurements by its very nature requires that the unit be plugged in and turned on. It is therefore LIVE! Please exercise due care and caution.

Ok here are the results. I had all boards connected together and unit plugged in A.C. power source and had the vcr powered ON.Testing in DC mode. Black Probe on GND and Red Probe tested all pins.CN202
- switched +5v @ pin 2 = +5.12VDC
- unswitched +5.7v @ pin 3 = +5.78VDC
- heater +3.9v @ pin 4 = -19.56VDC (yes negative reading). Checked it 3 times
- heater -3.9v @ pin 5 = -23.57 (negative)CN201
- unswitched -5v @ pin 1 = -4.98VDC (negative)
- switched +5v @ pin 4 = +5.12VDC
- unswitched +5.7v @ pin 5 = +5.75VDC
- unswitched +13.5v @ pin 6 = +14.50VDC
- unswitched +10.5v @ pin 8 = +10.79VDC
- unswitched -28v @ pin 9 = -27.78VDC (negative)
- unswitched +40v @ pin 10 = +40.82VDC

Voltages checks good.

Locate the video board VI-111 and visually inspect for anything out of the ordinary including scorch marks, bloated capacitors, cracks/holes on face of the parts and even dull/cold solder joints.

What about CN202 having -19.56VDc on pin 4 where the +heater should be +3.9v and the -23.57vdc on pin 5 (-heater) where it should be -3.9v according to your notes. Aren't these voltage way out of range?

I understand but as labeled, heater voltages hence would/should have no effect on the absence/presence of video thus not a priority as of the moment,

Try checking red probe to pin 4 and black probe to pin 5.

In the meantime, I will inspect board VI-111. I do have a microscope so I also inspect the smd components for burn scorch marks.
Ok I will not worry about the +heater and -heater at this time. I will inspect the VI-111 video board

Yes please and would look forward to an update when I get back. Would be mobile/fieldwork.

Ok. Here is vi-111 update. Both sides of board look good. No visual evidence of blown components. I used my microscope for the inspection. No cracks or cold solder joints as well. I even checked the IC chips making sure none of the legs from the IC chips came loose.

On the VI-111 board, please locate and check:

• Q101 - playback +5V regulator transistor;
  • Qs603, 604 & 614 video amp transistors.

Appreciate the update and yes, the pinouts are correct.

Determine the voltage of Q101's emitter and then the collector with respect to common ground.

Oops forgot about Q101. Will send results over shortly.

Yes please; again a friendly reminder, carefully.

Attached is pic of Q101 pin layout.
I measured the following: Red probe was placed on E, C, and B. Black Probe was placed on side chassis that is grounded.E to common GND (chassis was used) = 5.03v
C to common GND (chassis was used) = 4.97v
B to Common GND (chassis was used) = 5.07vIs this the correct way you wanted to test??

Yes and readings show that Q101 is functioning as expected.

This time passive tests; i.e. not powered / diode/resistance-continuity checks.

Please check and compare readings of Q501, Q701 and Q606.

1. You want me to test Q501, Q701 and Q606 without plugging in the A/C adapter and not powering On the unit . Test these components in the OFF mode?2. Test each component in diode mode then resistance mode and then continuity mode?

Yes please; diode test these transistors while still in-circuit.

These are Darlington pairs.

Actually, of interest more would if the readings of the 3 are close.

Here are the results. I attached 3 pics. I did diode, resistance and continuity but seeing your message you are concerned with diode mode. I still included the others as well. Hope you can read my writing.Am I measuring these components correctly? If not please do let me know. That is why I include which color probe (red for pos and blk for neg) I have attached to what pin so you know exactly how I got the readings.

Hi again Lisa,

Surprised that there are voltage readings in a passive test.

And there should be two (2) readings of each leg-to-leg; i.e. forward and then reverse.

I went back re checked my measurements and they are the same. Could it be they are in circuit is why I am getting voltage readings in the passive test? Here is what my volt meter is set to when I am taking diode measurements. And i already indicate which probe lines I attach to each pin.So what's next??? Take your time, I know you have other things to tend to.
i made sure unit was unplugged from power source and not powered ON when I ran the last tests for you.

Interesting; unplugged yet there is voltage reading. A possibility would be a large electrolytic capcitor that is still charged.

We may have to go back and re-check the regulator transistor Q101 and perhaps even the others.

Lisa, can you please post back with a clear picture of this VI-111 board?

Thanks.

Here are several pics - both front and back. If you need me to zoom in on a particular area let me know and I will do my best. I also included the two small boards that plug into the main board, wasn't sure if you needed them or not.
15064572778711212160492.jpg1506457...jpg15064573619241342657993.jpg1506457...jpg15064574052591426527939.jpg1506457...jpg1506457457580709036502.jpg1506457...jpg15064575096581183398075.jpg1506457...jpg15064575623771178892375.jpg1506457...jpg15064576316017316209.jpg1506457...jpg15064579803621163218236.jpg1506457...jpg15064580075261543100241.jpg1506458...jpg1506458045499132310513.jpg1506458...jpg150645806739666832468.jpg1506458...jpg15064580877401238480865.jpg1506458...jpg

Appreciate the pictures.

Please click HERE. Measure and note the voltages then post back the values.

Attached are the results. I included close up pics of the Q101, Q504 and Q506. Q504 and Q506 were hard to read on the board because they were crammed together so I circled the ones I thought were the correct ones. I always labeled the pin layouts. If wrong do let me know. For the first part i had the unit powered ON but nothing playing, tape was in the stop position. Second part unit was still powered ON but had a tape playing. Voltages from both parts were about the same. Should that be?
According to ev-a50 service manual I may have switched Q101, Q504 and Q506 emitter and base. I went off the specs i found online. When I was paying through the service manual I came across some of components they have listed here. Will re test collector and emitter .
I re-ran the voltage readings. Now I am confused which pins are b, e and c. Going by the service manual looks like c in the middle pin. Then b left side and e right side. So I took the new measurements going by service manual pin layout for 2SB798A-DL. Still the voltage remained the same when the unit was powered ON but not playing in part I. Then in part II, powered ON and tape was playing.

Lisa,

While the pinout may be confusing, let's focus on the readings:

• 12.3V from 14.5V;
  • 9.2V from 10.7V; and
  • 4.9V from 5.0V.

These values are enough to satisfy the B+ requirements hence we would now move to the next phase; signal tracing.

Is your scope still available?

Oscilloscope or Microscope? Yes to both.
Electronics Technician: Louie, Technician replied 7 months ago

The oscilloscope.

During playback mode, back trace the video signal from pin 1 of CN511 using the schematics (Service Manual) as reference for the test points.

Ok. I will try this when I get home this afternoon.

Of interest would be where the video signal starts/ends to display in the scope's screen.

Ok. I may need assistance connecting the scope and board. But first I wanna try it myself and see if i can do it. You stepped me through a similar process when you were helping me troubleshoot a guitar amplifier.

I remember; 'bout 4 years back.

Need a little help here. The only thing I can find for CN511 pin 1 under section 10-5-2, the mode shows "record". Can't find anything that shows CN511 pin 1 for playback. Unless I can substitute record for the play features - correct? If I am in the wrong area in the service manual, can you please direct me to correct page for reference? Thanks
I include a pic in the last message showing you were I found CN511 in the service manual.

That picture shows that it is in the VI-111 board where we were performing the previous checks. Please check/go to the rightmost of the schematics for this board. The schematics would show CN511.

If you schematics has grid locations, it would be G33.

Found it. Attached a pic, but when I try to enlarge the pic it's too blurry. I am going to see if I can print it out and place the print underneath my microscope. Can't quite make out the verbage. If am unsuccessful I will let you know and may be you can send me a pic. I will keep you posted.

It would appear that we have the same version of the Service Manual and thus suffer the same blurriness.

Looks like pin 1 from CN511 goes to pin 18 on CN501. I did a continuity check and it beeps. So this would be the "Line Out V" that I will be testing. My next question is, on the scope i will set my reading at 5vp-p or should I less? Also will i be using just one channel?
Correct me if I am wrong. This is how I am going to test the line.
1. Power On unit.
2. Turn on Scope. Set vp-p to set value if different from the one I mentioned earlier.
3. Assuming i am using one channel, I will place scope black probe on GND and place scope red probe on pin 1 on CN511 or should I place on CN501 pin 18?Not sure where you are located but it's 11:20pm Wednesday evening, so I will run this test in the morning.
Oh and forgot one more thing, once scope probes are connected and powered ON, I will press the plauback button to see what kind of output get.

Yes; ...During playback mode, back trace the video signal from pin 1 of CN511.

1 channel.

You may have to manually adjust scope settings as the video signal may be low.

I'm @ GMT+8

Ok. I hooked up the scope. Using channel 1. I can connected to pin 18 on CN501 which comes from pin 1 on CN511. The first pic is a sine wave with the unit powered ON and stopped. Second pic is unit powered ON and on playback. Third pic is just showing probes connection . One to black to GND and probe on pin 18.The pictures of the sine waves , I did single sequence screenshots, beause if I just keep it running, you can see noise on the screen. I took a picture of the noise so you can see for your self.I also included the setup menu configurations I am using.
15066382486721811184124.jpg1506638...jpg15066383575801704729692.jpg1506638...jpg1506639554945572196978.jpg1506639...jpg1506639584867651904245.jpg1506639...jpg15066398218751312533834.jpg1506639...jpg1506639899144595221712.jpg1506639...jpg

Appreciate the post back and pictures Lisa.

However, I am tempted to think that there is a grounding issue with the scope's connection to the EV-A50 as the waveform displayed appears to be 60Hz AC hum.

should I try to find a better grounding plain for scopes GND alligator clip?

Try using the metal casing of the tuner module.

I tried the tuner but was still getting noise, so I went and tried it on my other scope and I had the unit powered ON for a few seconds, then went off. The unit does not power On. I attached picture of the power supply CN211 showing you the voltage readings. I am sure this separate from my other problem. But i need to get this working in order to get power to my other boards to get the scope readings. Where should I begin on this one??? I will have to open the power supply chassis to access these components. I will wait to hear back from you.

Sorry to hear of this.

Still, inside the power supply, check:

• D206,
  • L202;
  • PS201; and
  • IC201.

Lisa,

PS201 is a fuse and in this instance, it blew hence 5.78V on 1 side but 0.0V on the other side. There is no UN5.7V feeding the standby power to the logic/CPU circuitry = no housekeeping voltage = CPUis dead.

Since the CPU is not functioning, there is no P. CONP.

No P. CONP = no +4.6V to pin 4 of IC201.

No switch-on trigger to pin 4 = no output from pin 2 of IC201

Thus pin 2 is = .002V

by replacing PS201 will fix the problem? I do have another power supply here, same one. It's dead on the A.C. side so maybe the PS201 will be ok.

Yes, replacing PS201 should restore both UN5.7V and SW 5V.

Still, ensure no issue with pin 5 of CN201 to common ground.

Unit unplugged, measure the resistance between pins 5 and 2 of CN201.

Right now with the state the power supply is in before repairing any components, pins 2 and pin 5 on CN201 measure OL on meter. I will recheck that after I replace PS201.

Yes please before attempting to plug in.

Still, we are actually more interested with the resistance of pins 5 and 2 of CN201 of the wires that went to VI-111 board. If there is an issue, it would be on that board causing the fault in the power supply.

Good news, unit powers On. Ready to continue..Ok. We left off - using the scope to see signal on pin 1 of the CN511 which is tied to pin 18 on the CN501.How do I get rid of the A.C. hum you mentioned in a couple of posts back? Is the hum coming from the scope itself or the board? This is a new scope. I could try my other one, the one we used on amplifier.What type of sine waves am I suppose to see? I should see a difference of waves from when the unit is On but in stop mode and On but in playback mode correct?

Touch together the scope's ground clip and the CH1 test probe. Display should flatline.

Separate ground clip and CH1; still a flat line or very very low amplitude sinewave.

Touch with your fingers CH1 test probe, display should show AC sinewave.

Attach scope's ground clip to common ground of EV-A50.

CH1 input to:

• pin 1 CN511;
  • emitters of Q609 & Q610;
  • both legs of C626;
  • emitter of Q608;
  • base of Q608;
  • pin 12 of IC602.
Here is my scope test before doing any measuring. 3 pics of what my scope looks when powered ON and not connected to anything, showing a line with some ripples. It's not a perfect flat line. Second test is the test scope performs by connecting the probe and gnd to the scope it self to set if self. Good square waves but top and bottom still show some ripples, not perfect lines. And last test, I have black probe to GND on Scope and I am holding red probe between my fingers. I can't get it to a perfect sine wave. It still has some ripples as well. Is this good to go??
Ok I went ahead and starting taking measurements. Pics are attached. Wasn't able to finish though PS201 blew again. I was very careful taking my measurements and making sure probes weren't touching anything it shouldn't have. Would you know why PS201 blew again on me? Turning the machine on and off?? The constant stop and start of the tape button?I don't know if the circuit contains another ICP-N25 fuse for me to take from. Is there something I can replace with it that is compared to the original? If not, I would have to order from China.Anyways from the pics I did take, how do those sine waves look up to this point?
11750.jpeg11750.jpeg11742.jpeg11742.jpeg11743.jpeg11743.jpeg11744.jpeg11744.jpeg11745.jpeg11745.jpeg11746.jpeg11746.jpeg11747.jpeg11747.jpeg11762.jpeg11762.jpeg
Looks like I can buy these icp-n25 fuses from inside the state's. I live in Illinois and outfit I found is located on Michigan. So I am going to place an order for these fuses today. Should have by middle of this upcoming week.

A possibility to consider is that there is an intermittent wire, connection or even a part on the VI-111 shorting the UN+5.7V to ground hence the repeated blowing of fuse

And try the other scope even if just to eliminate that this scope is causing the fuse to blow. Also, it would allow us to see if the sine wave would persist.

Ok I will look for the possibility on both power supply and main board side. Nothing I can do until parts arrived. I did order up a handdul of the fuses today. They be shipped out tomorrow Monday Oct 2. I should be get them by Wednessay no later than Thursday. I will let you know you when they come in.

Copy that; an update when able then.

Hi Louie. Parts finally arrived and i was able to replace that fuse. Unit powers up. I went back and scope tested CN511 pin 1, Q609&Q610 emitters, Q608 base and emitter and finally IC602 pin 12. Measure the components ON but in stop mode, then ON with playback ON. All showed the same sine wave. Nothing different. I attached a pic of CN511 but not the rest since they are identical. Scope is set to channel 1, 2.00v and 60hzAm I doing something wrong?? Or should these all the be same?? I am thinking I should see a sine wave difference between ON stop and ON playback mode. I could be wrong, that's why you're the expert.
Hi Louie. Just checking to see if you received my message yesterday. Part finally arrived. Did the scope test. If you did not get my message please let me know and I will resubmit it.

Thank you for your patience Lisa; field work with sluggish Internet if at all.

Totally understand. Reply back when it's convenient for you. I will wait to hear back from to see what my next test will be.

Hi again Lisa and thanks for the pictures.

For some reason this sine wave does not makes sense.

With no cables connected even the green alligator + wire, does the scope's screen still show the sinewave?

• If yes, then we may have a scope issue;
  • if none, then the for some reason, there is a grounding issue.

Have you tried with the other scope?

I will try another scope and let you know the results.

Yes please and perform the same check; i.e. no cables/wire/ground to the other scope, it should show first a flatline.

Hi Louie. Just following up with you . I did not forget about you... I am owner of an accounting business and had to work on some clients tax returns that were due by today. Their 6 months extension ended today so I had to put them ahead of my dilemma with you. So by tomorrow Tuesday Oct 17th I am back on the vcr. I do have another scope I use to see if I get the same or different results. Talk to you soon.

I understand and no prob.

Interesting about the "...accounting business...". Perhaps may ask for your insight.

Louie, Technician