Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I have a sentry v260 safe and the code is not working. I get…

Customer Question
I have a sentry...

I have a sentry v260 safe and the code is not working. I get to the third number and the red beep comes on. My brother thinks it is the baterry but how do i change the battery. I hate to have to through it out - it is a beautiful safe but I can't get in it anymore. Since I was having trouble the last time a few month ago it opened and I took everything out of it.

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, have you double-checked the code? And what is the exact make and model of your machine?

Yes I have clarified the code. It is a Sentry 4 sided key and 5 digit combo safe.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Several months - just keep trying to open. what trobule shooting can i do.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

No i would like to get in my safe to see if i can continue to use it or to toss it and get another brand. I will make sure it has an alternative way to get in the safe. Like just a regular key.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
9/21/2017
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 11 months ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Try this: place both hands upon the keypad, then pull it upward to unlock it from the door, then pull it toward you to access the battery compartment. (This applies to some models with keypads. For other models it might be a somewhat different method, such as locating a pinhole on the face of the keypad, inserting a sharp object or a straightened paper-clip into it, and thus un-latching the battery case from the reset of the safe, allowing replacement of batteries.)

Note that if the old batteries have leaked brown corrosion onto things, cleaning will have to be done, of the battery compartment terminals at least, before the safe will have a chance of working again. This is best done with cotton (or rag cloth) moistened with rubbing alcohol. Once the terminals are shiny again, let them dry for 5+ minutes, then put in the batteries - with proper orientation with regard to + and - poles - and try the safe's combination again.

Does this help with the problem?