Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

First time getting into our sentry safe after having the…

Customer Question
First time getting into...

First time getting into our sentry safe after having the safe about a year. It may still have the combination that came with the safe, I don't think I changed it. Don't know where the combination is and have now idea where the key to the safe is.

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

Can't find one. About a year old I have the serial number X0751064502211F

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Tried several combinations that I would have made up. Just today

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
9/19/2017
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 8 months ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
The first thing to do is, to look for the instruction manual that came with the safe - unless you know it to be inside the safe, of course. It can be very useful for certain reasons.

The second thing (esp. if that fails) is to locate and obtain the original bill of sale, or sales receipt, for the safe. (Unless that is inside the safe too, as sometimes happens on occasion.)

Let me know which of those two can be found, and I will advise you further as to what to do.

I don't believe they are in the safe, however I don't know where to locate them as of now.

Then I will give you time to try and locate them. The alternative would be, to tell you to break open the safe, ruining it. And that's not much of an alternative. (Or - of course - to locate the key, if it is a model of Sentry safe that opens either with the key, or with the code, but doesn't have to open with both key and code correctly entered.)

Found the key. Problem solved

Oddly enough, that's what I just suggested. I would advise you to also locate the two items I mentioned before, in case there is some problem once more. Also: you have no code, that works, it seems. Spontaneous code change? deliberate code change? if the latter, does someone else now have access to your safe? at any rate, keep the key safe, and any duplicate of it also, to at least ensure that you have access.

If you need further specific advice, let me know. If you are done with this question and case, then would you be willing to rate my answer, and my efforts to help?

John, Engineer and electronic enthusiast for more than 12 years.