Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I have a set of Panasonic wireless phones (4) model

Customer Question
Hi Pearl, I have...

Hi Pearl, I have a set of Panasonic wireless phones (4) model no.KX-TGEA20 AND I cannot get any of them to ring, either on main base or any of wireless phones. Can you help

Technician's Assistant: How old is the phone?

More than 4 years

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Just since Saturday night

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

I have changed batteries in main phone and tried all the ringer adjustments

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
9/18/2017
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 9 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

When someone calls, are you still able to answer (even if it doesn't ring) and does the caller id info still show?

Since Sat Sept 16 evening. I have checked all phones and ring adjustments and changed batteries in main phone on base

Do you have any other phones there, not part of the panasonic system (just a regular corded or wall phone) or even a fax machine? If so, do those still ring audibly on an incoming call?

I have one other very old phone and it works independently

Thank you for confirming,

this could be a setting, but is more likely a hardware failure in the base station.

Lets check the settings first to be safe,

take a handset and key in Menu#1606 Save Off, then try calling your home line and see if that one rings.

It still does not ring goes directly to vm

Okay going directly to voicemail is different than not ringing though.

You had said the other old phone still works,

so when you tested, did it go directly to vm, or did the old phone still ring?

The old phone rang

Okay so it rang several times and then went to voicemail

but nothing audible from the panasonic.

Do you get your phone service through your cable company?

Century Link

Okay the last test here will be to plug the panasonic base station into the wall jack currently used by the old phone and test once more to see if it rings there.

the main Panasonic on base seems to be working. and the other bases as well.

Okay that would be a line issue then with the other wall jack, it may have a loose wire or just isn't getting sufficient voltage to trip the ringer relay.

If possible, I'd just leave the base where it is now, otherwise you could call the phone co to come out and check the wiring.

Electronics Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 8 months ago

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work as an independent technician.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.

Nathan, Engineer