Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I am having trouble re-charging the battery contained within…

Customer Question
I am having trouble...

I am having trouble re-charging the battery contained within the Block Rocker. Is this replaceable? - and how do I send this out to be replaced?

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

Let me go check -- one moment please.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

I haven't used it in a couple of years -- has been stored in the box.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
9/16/2017
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 9 months ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
The battery within your Block Rocker portable speaker should be replaced, if the age of the speaker and the battery within it is something like 1 1/4 to 4 or more years old. Rechargeable batteries do go bad with sufficient age, and sometimes with some types of usage or non-usage for a while.

Let me know if you want to replace the battery yourself, or have the speaker as a whole sent out, or taken out, to be serviced. If you'd like to take it to a local repair shop, let me know your local zip code or town/city and state, also, please.

Block Rocker
Model # (21) N41207123797487
Manufactured 7/2012
Factory ID WEIC
E237804I live in Warrenton, VA 20186. I'm curious if I can replace this battery myself or do I have to send it to a local repair shop? If I can replace this type of rechargeable battery --- where do I buy it?Thanks,
Neva Johnson

OK... thanks for the reply and the information.

I can instruct you how to remove the old battery and how to replace the new battery.

But, the Model # you gave me appears to be a serial #. I would need the model #, or the full model name at least, off the manufacturer's label on the back side (possibly) of the speaker, please.

Let me check the speaker.

OK. There is no hurry to check the speaker's model # - I will still be here to respond, hours from now.

I honestly don't see an actual Model #!!! I can send you pics of the Manufacturer label (if you want to take a look).

Well, replacing the battery has a few exacting aspects as a procedure. You need to get the exact right replacement, is most of the worry, really.

But if you would feel safer taking it to a service center, then yes, that should be done. Let me research good locations to contact about servicing this speaker, for a few minutes, please.

Actually there may be no service locations - not officially - near you. But you can contact e.g. Best Buy's nearest location (or nearest locations for Lowe's, or Sears, too), asking them if they service an "Ion Audio Block Rocker speaker" or replace a battery in one... and when I entered the serial # you so carefully provided in an ION Audio page, this is the message (and identifier of your model #!) that I got from that page:

You have an ION Block Rocker AM/FM. It uses the following replacement battery:

• Specifications: 12V, 5aH sealed lead-acid battery
  • Dimensions: 3.54″ x 2.76″ x 3.98 (L x W x H)

This affordable, user-replaceable battery is commonly available from many retailers including...

• www.ionaudio.com - ION part no. 60190082-I
  • www.amazon.com - Amazon part no. B00BUH4R2E

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Amazon.com part is sold here:

https://www.amazon.com/Rocker-Uninterruptible-Power-Supply-Battery/dp/B00BUH4R2E/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

and the odd things are, 1. it is only sold - anywhere - as 2 batteries, 2. it is sold titled 'Uninterruptable Power Supply', though it is clearly a battery.

Would you still like further information as to replacing this battery in your speaker?

Okay - I would appreciate it.
Did you get the two pictures (attached files) that I sent to you?
I was worried that I could not see a Model # anywhere on the box or unit (itself). Did you see a Model #??
The only thing that comes close to a Model # is the (21) N41207123797487.

This page tells how to replace such a battery in a Block Rocker - and note, yours is the

Block Rocker AM/FM

model.

https://www.noterepeat.com/products/ion/portable-audio/141-ion-audio-battery-replacement

and the battery is confirmed there as being a 12V, 5AH, Lead Acid Battery - 3.54" x 2.76" x 3.98 (L x W x H).

This sub-link within that page relates to your model specifically:

https://www.ionaudio.com/products/details/block-rocker-am-fm

and identifies it as an iPA16 model.

Does this answer your question?